The true meaning of Friendsgiving

Thanksgiving food memorabilia inside of Auburn's Rhapsody gift shop on Nov. 17, 2022.

Tis' the season of Friendsgiving, and Auburn students are here for it. The large, Thanksgiving-themed meal eaten with friends on or before the holiday serves as a way for friends to join together and celebrate the holiday with their own version of Thanksgiving turkey, stuffing and mashed potatoes. 

Over the past few years, the trending holiday has become a tradition for people all over the country. For college students, it's a way to take a break from their student dining plan and all celebrate the holiday before parting for school break. 

“At college, your friends and roommates become your new family,” said Danielle Retief, junior student at Auburn University. 

For freshmen, Friendsgiving is also a way to bring people together to meet others or form closer bonds with them over a delicious meal. For seniors, it can be sentimental as students cherish their next few months together before graduation. 

“Freshman year, I had one friend who lived off campus, and she would cook meals for us all the time,” said Retief. 

Many freshmen will celebrate wherever possible, whether that be in an apartment, a friend's nearby home or even in a dorm. 

“I remember a lot of people improvising, and making different themes for their Friendsgiving meals that would make it doable for dorms,” said Retief. 

On-campus dorms in Auburn each have a kitchen, so the meal also serves as a good way for freshman to meet and share a meal with their hallmates. 

“Since most of our friends are out of state, it’s a nice way to spend time with one another before we all separate to go home for the holidays,” said Retief. 

For many students, the celebration serves as a highlight of the holiday season. This year, Retief and her friends made an excel sheet on what dishes everyone will be making and bringing to the celebration. 

“Since most of our friends are out of state, it’s a nice way to spend time with one another before we all separate to go home for the holidays,” said Retief. Friendsgiving also tends to be more laid back for some people, since the rules can be looser. 

The main purpose of Friendsgiving is to enjoy the company of friends who feel like family. Usually, each friend will bring a course, appetizer or desert that they made to contribute to the meal. 

“I have a friend who always makes the most amazing chocolate pie,” said Claire Bogacz, junior student at Auburn University. 

Claire enjoys Friendsgiving with both her friends at college and her friends at home. 

“It’s also convenient to have leftovers,” said Bogacz. 

Similarly to the classic Thanksgiving meal, the Friendsgiving meal can also have leftover food to be enjoyed for days. 

It's no surprise the concept of Friendsgiving has been adopted by friends everywhere, both on and off The Plains. It's an opportunity to come together and create something with a chosen family- a notion that stands true to the Auburn Family. 

Virginia Shea | Culture Writer

Virginia Shea, sophomore in pre-public relations, is a culture writer at The Auburn Plainsman. 

Share and discuss “The true meaning of Friendsgiving” on social media.