Impact of social media on student life: good or bad?

Social Media’s Impact on Student Life
Social Media’s Impact on Student Life

Social media plays a much larger role in the day-to-day life of college students than one might think, and one’s screen time typically determines whether the virtual experience is good or bad.

Some Auburn students have spoken out and provided their personal opinions regarding where social media falls on the mental health spectrum—from negative to positive and in between.

“I spend probably four to six hours a day on social media. I use Instagram mostly and then Snapchat some,” said Haley Cassidy, freshman in neuroscience.

Cassidy felt that her time on social media was mostly wasted scrolling mindlessly through videos. 

“Harmed my mental health, strained my relationships and glorified world views are major downfalls,” Cassidy said. “But, I also use some platforms to talk to my friends.”

Cassidy even takes it a step further, explaining that social media drains her and makes her grades worse as a student because she is on it rather than studying. She feels more content scrolling through people’s posts than stressing over a test.

Another student at Auburn, Shauna Giroir, freshman in biomedical sciences, said that she spends about two to three hours a day on social media. 

“Most of my time is spent on Tik Tok, Instagram and Snapchat,” Giroir said. “As someone who regularly scrolls through Instagram mindlessly, I know that I am just using social media to fill blank space.”

Also connecting this impact to her student life, Giroir said, “As a student, I have seen some of my peers on my Tik Tok ‘for you page.’ Seeing these people who I have yet to connect with in person is confusing and gives me an impression of them before truly meeting them.”

Giroir also finds social media as more of a mental factor, emphasizing that she believes that social media can cause many forms of mental distress. She believes that platforms hold unbelievably high expectations that set people up to fail.

“I spend only thirty minutes a day on social media—twenty on Snapchat and ten on Instagram,” said Matthew Wilkins, freshman in mechanical engineering. “I don’t feel that I waste my time on social media. I usually do streaks on Snapchat and catch up with people, and Instagram is full of cute animals that just make me happy.” 

However, Wilkins does acknowledge social media’s faults. 

“Social media’s addictive nature can definitely become an issue,” Wilkins said. “The mental distraction definitely affects the sleep and studying of college students.” 

Cassidy said that students should try reading, walking meditating or trying something creative instead of getting on social media if it’s making them feel bad. 

Giroir provides additional advice and said that nothing on social media shows the full story. She trusts that stepping away from technology altogether and trying a new activity are adequate remedies to whatever issue one may be facing.

“The internet is fake, just believe in yourself. You can do many things to disconnect from it, but I have found nature as a great option,” Wilkins said. 

All students did mention that social media can be used in a positive manner; however, it is evident in their responses that social media not only negatively affects student life but also mental health.

This story was featured in our most recent print edition, in stands and online now.

Luke Jenkins | Culture Writer

Luke Jenkins is a freshman at Auburn, majoring in biomedical science and minoring in Spanish. He started with The Plainsman in fall 2022.

Share and discuss “Impact of social media on student life: good or bad?” on social media.