McGriff adding valuable experience to Auburn defense

<p>Wesley McGriff via Auburn Athletics.</p>

Wesley McGriff via Auburn Athletics.

Wesley McGriff was announced last December as Auburn’s next secondary and cornerbacks coach. McGriff brings decades of experience to the team, coaching over 10 teams. 

“It’s been really fun to be around the guys on the grass and share this thing with Zac (Etheridge) and us doing it together,” McGriff said. “Man, I’m looking forward to the remainder of the spring and looking forward to the season.” 

This isn’t McGriff’s first time coaching on the Plains. He coached in 2016, where Auburn’s pass defense ranked 67th, allowing 229.2 yards per game, seventh in scoring defense (17.1 points per game) and 11th in red zone defense (74.4%). Then, he returned in 2019 to work under Kevin Steele. The Tigers’ defense ranked 30th nationally in third down defense (34.7%) and red zone defense (71.8%). 

This past season, McGriff coached for Louisville. During that time, Louisville was nationally ranked 34th in pass defense, allowing 206.5 yards per game, and was ranked 35th among FBS teams in third down defense with 34.6%. The Cardinals ranked 10th in red zone defense with 73.8% and 14th in red zone touchdown defense with 47.6%. 

McGriff mentioned three goals he has for the offseason. The first is to keep the ball in front of the defense and then take it away. The second is to try and minimize small mistakes made on the field and the third is to make minor adjustments throughout the game. 

“If you can take away the vertical game, you can stop the deep ball and get the ball in your hands. The second biggest thing we talk about is minimizing and eliminating minimal mistakes," McGriff said. "If you can play this game with less minimal mistakes, you’re gonna come out on top. One of the last goals that we talked about is making adjustments during the game. Players have to problem solve and that leads to communication, being on the same page and having the confidence.”

McGriff emphasized the importance of communication between the secondaries. The goal line remains protected when the players are on the same page. 

“We defend the second most precious thing in the game. The OL (offensive line) got to defend the quarterback, and we got to defend the goal line. If anything gets behind us on the ground in there, that could be the game, the season or somebody’s career,” McGriff said. “That’s why we meet together a lot because we have to be on the same page. The communication between the corner, safety and nickel has to start in the meeting room.”

McGriff recognized junior Keionte Scott as a guy who can make a big impact on the field. Over the offseason, Scott has shown his maturity in the meeting room and on the field with determination to be a dynamic player. 

“My time has been very brief, but I see a dynamic player. I see a guy who can impact the game. I see a guy that has the tools to play at a high level. I see a guy who loves football,” McGriff said. “I mean, when he comes to work every day, he’s prepared. He’s got his notebook and got something to write with. He’s a serious-minded individual.” 

A lot of Auburn’s corners are veterans, but many young players are showcasing their ability to make an impact on the field. Freshman Kayin Lee has made an impression on McGriff already. 

“Kayin Lee has done a great job. You gotta think that this guy’s supposed to get ready to go to the prom, but he’s in spring ball making plays,” McGriff said. “We know he has the physical tools, but just off the field, he will not leave the building if he doesn’t understand the coverage. I mean, he’d knock on the door and say, ‘hey coach, I don’t understand this coverage,’ and he has his notebook, and as soon as he sits down, he pulls it out and takes notes."

McGriff and Zac Etheridge work closely together, and McGriff spoke highly of Etheridge’s coaching ability and integrity. 

“Zac is going to be an outstanding football coach. You will refer to him as a young coach, but that guy has a lot of wisdom," McGriff said. "We do a lot of things together, and you will just be surprised if you were in a meeting with him, his football IQ. I’m excited about going on this ride with him, but I’m more excited about watching his career down the road. He’s gonna be a rockstar. He’s gonna be a household name because he’s smart."

With many new additions and returning coaches and athletes, Auburn hopes to have a promising future, and McGriff shared his plans to stay on the Plains. 

“I’m never leaving. This is home," McGriff said. "Now, did I ever think I would come back here to coach? I was hopeful for that, but man, when you have an opportunity to come to a place like Auburn, when you get that phone call, it’s a very short conversation.”

Caitlyn Griffin | Sports Writer

Caitlyn Griffin is a sophomore from Huntsville, Alabama, majoring in journalism. She started with The Plainsman in fall 2022. 

Twitter: @caitlyngrif99

Share and discuss “McGriff adding valuable experience to Auburn defense” on social media.