Plainsman Choice 2023 Best Bar Event: Taylor Swift Night

SkyBar Cafe sees a change in Auburn's nightlife during the Covid pandemic on Mar. 25, 2021, in Auburn, Ala.

At Skybar’s first Taylor Swift Night, an army of Taylor Swift fans commonly referred to as “swifties” could be heard all around downtown singing, chanting and even crying to their favorite songs by the artist. It was so popular that they held another night centered around the artist’s newest album: Midnights. 

Sara Wilson, graduate student majoring in communications, was at the Midnights Taylor Swift Night and calls herself a “swiftie.” 

“We were handed, kind of like a raffle ticket. Throughout the night, they did giveaways of vinyl albums of Taylor Swift’s newest album, Midnights,” Wilson said. "They would call the number of the ticket and if you had all the correct numbers, then you won the vinyl."

Wilson also recalled a cardboard cutout of the artist was a part of the complimentary raffle, where a fan got to take the cutout home with them when their numbers were called. Behind the DJ, Ben Bruud, were screens playing the music videos of Taylor Swift that aligned with the song being played. 

“Overall, it was just a really fun experience. I’ve been a Taylor Swift fan for a very long time and I’ve never had the opportunity to go to one of her concerts, so it was really nice to have a night dedicated to listening to Taylor Swift music all night,” Wilson said. 

When comparing the Midnights-themed Taylor Swift Night to the first Taylor Swift Night at Skybar, Wilson mentioned that a variety of iconic Taylor Swift songs were played the first night. With the second one focused on Swift’s Midnights album, Wilson said there was more excitement in the atmosphere that made the night so fun.

Even though the night was centered around songs from the most recent album, the DJ still played some of Swift’s most iconic songs to complement the Midnight's album. 

“He played music from all of her albums. My all-time favorite Taylor Swift Song is Delicate and I love the music video for that song. He played both Delicate and the music video and so getting to hear that was just incredible,” Wilson said. 

Wilson recommends Taylor Swift Nights to anyone, even if someone is not a hardcore Taylor Swift fan.

“It is a good way to be with other people who enjoy the same music you do. The Swifties are a huge fanbase, and so getting to meet other Swifties in Auburn was a lot of fun,” Wilson said.

Some of those who attended took the extra effort to dress for the occasion, dressing as the different “versions” of Taylor Swift. 

SkyBar has continued to hold different events focusing on different artists. Wilson said in the future, she hopes to see a night focused on the country genre or around another one of her favorite singers, Post Malone. 

SkyBar has more nights focused around different artists soon to come, with a rumored Morgan Wallen or country night happening before the spring semester comes to a close.

Piper Bosart | Assistant Culture Editor

Piper Bosart, junior in journalism, is the assistant culture editor for The Auburn Plainsman. She has been with The Plainsman since January, 2022.

Share and discuss “Plainsman Choice 2023 Best Bar Event: Taylor Swift Night” on social media.