Plainsman's Choice 2023 Best On Campus Dining: Hey Day Market

<p>The Hey Day Market next to the freshly opened Tony and Libba Rane Culinary Science Center serves students for the first time on opening day on August 16, 2022.</p>

The Hey Day Market next to the freshly opened Tony and Libba Rane Culinary Science Center serves students for the first time on opening day on August 16, 2022.

Ever since its grand opening on Aug. 16, 2022, Hey Day Market has been captivating the Auburn Family. There’s no wonder it stole the show for Plainsman’s Choice Award for "Best On-Campus Dining."

Located on the corner of Thatch and College, Hey Day Market is a great location for every hungry student, famished tourist or ravenous game day fan. Whatever and whoever is involved with craving, Hey Day can satisfy. 

Hey Day boasts its “multi-concept food hall.” It has nine vendors: Saint Bernardo Gelato, Cherry Moon Boba Tea, Wildchild Tacos, Pokémen Hawaiian Bowls and Ramen, Khoodles, Loud Roots, Cubanita, Little Darling Burger Co. and Pizzeria Ariccia. 

These vendors are largely employed by university students, creating a synergy of campus and community. Not to mention, they accept cash, card or Tiger Card, so it appeals to everyone. 

Another dimension of all that Hey Day Market encompasses is the name itself. Hey Day is an Auburn tradition dating back to 1947. 

Students who returned from fighting in World War II felt disconnected from the Auburn Family, lost in their battles with trauma and confusion of identity. Hey Day began as a way to combat that disconnection and foster human authentic relationships. 

Auburn’s history, tradition and creed all speak about its unique culture — the Auburn Family. They decided to hand out name tags to everyone so they could be greeted by their first name. This bonds people in a special way and draws people into that family. 

This is what Hey Day Market strives for every day. Right inside their wide-swinging, glass double-doors stands a table with these very name tags in hopes to honor that tradition and continue its effects year-round. 

“I always bring people there from out of town. It’s a gathering place that just embodies Auburn — the community, the food, the name, everything,” said Spirit Hall, sophomore in chemistry education. 

Hey Day is uniquely Auburn — not just the campus, the city, or even the people. It is all of Auburn’s purpose, history and personality wrapped into one place — an extension of Auburn’s core values. 

“I went there on a game day one time and had the ultimate Auburn day. We got food and enjoyed the weather and game day atmosphere,” Hall said. "Then we walked to Toomer’s Corner and got lemonade since it’s so close. It was perfect."

Even further than enabling people to live their best individual Auburn lives, Hey Day Market is the perfect spot for a lunch date, family visit or group dinner. 

“On lunch dates, I either get steak tacos and queso from Wildchild or a salad bowl from Loud Roots,” Hall said. "Sometimes I’ll use my dining dollars to pay for other people, and I love sitting outside listening to the live music, especially on Sunday afternoons."

The tables at Hey Day Market can accommodate casual lunch meetups, or meaningful family dinners. Hall says that she loves topping off a family dinner or outing with the gelato from Saint Bernardo’s. 

Sami Grace Donnelly | Writer Abroad

Sami Grace Donnelly, junior in English literature, began writing for the Plainsman in the Fall of 2021. She has served as a columnist, the Opinion Editor and is now a writer abroad during her exchange program in Spain. 

sgd0023@auburn.edu

@samigraced

Share and discuss “Plainsman's Choice 2023 Best On Campus Dining: Hey Day Market” on social media.