Best places to experience nature in Auburn

Beautiful scenery at Donald E. Davis Arboretum in Auburn, AL.

Auburn is filled with scenic escapes from the busy college life. In 2020, Auburn University was ranked first for happiest students in the nation according to The Princeton’s Review. This is no coincidence as Auburn was also ranked in the top 25 for the most beautiful campuses in the nation by The Daily Beast magazine. 

The Auburn area has many locations for anything from a relaxing walk to a high-intensity hike, including Donald E. Davis Arboretum and Chewacla State Park. 

Donald E. Davis Arboretum is a botanical garden that comprises 13.5 acres of scenic trails and water features. It is located behind The Hill dorms, making it within walking distance away from Auburn’s campus. According to the COSAM website, it’s one of the oldest in the SEC and is used as both an educational trail for the community, students and local schools and as a plant museum with scientifically ordered plants found around the trails.

Hayden Walker, freshman in computer science, visits the arboretum at least once a month. Walker’s favorite thing to do there is sit at the pond and watch the trees or do work and listen to music. 

“It’s so peaceful and is absolutely filled with nature. All different types of trees and plants, a small waterfall, and a pond where you can sometimes see ducks. There are even benches to sit and enjoy nature and a dispenser to get food to feed the ducks,” Walker said.

Christian Harvey, senior in professional flight, said, “I got to see new flowers blossoming there and took pictures with my friends.”

Chewacla State Park is another one of the most well-known places for adventure located in Auburn. With a variety of hiking trails, beginner, intermediate and advanced mountain biking tracks and numerous water features and swimming areas, Chewacla is a fan favorite.

Haley Cassidy, freshman in neuroscience, shared that Chewacla is a gorgeous getaway with so much to do. Cassidy also added a positive outlook on the admission fee, sharing excitement about getting to monetarily support nature.

Griffin Barclay, freshman in civil engineering, said that it’s a place for everyone, especially because it’s close to campus and only four dollars for an entire day.

“I’m a big animal guy and love to find snakes, turtles, and salamanders out there, but even just to walk in the woods to get a reset from whatever the week brought. Chewacla never disappoints,” said Barclay. 

However, connecting with nature doesn’t have to stem from the woods. Many students enjoy the environment right on campus. 

Samford Lawn is one of the most popular on-campus locations to have a picnic, throw a frisbee, play Spikeball or grab a Toomer’s lemonade and enjoy the environment. A historical landmark in Auburn, Samford Hall’s Lawn, is a point of happiness and heart of Auburn’s fans, family and especially students.

Emmalee Jordan, freshman in graphic design, shared her favorite nature-filled destination on campus is Samford Lawn because of the beautiful scenery.

“I get a Toomer’s lemonade and sit on Samford Lawn,” Jordan said. 

Dinius Park and Keisel Park are two other popular places to connect with nature in Auburn.

Alysha Little, freshman in sustainable biomaterials, said that her favorite place is Keisel Park because of the dogs.

“Me and my dog go often. She loves it so much, seeing everyone, especially college-aged people, and other dogs,” Little said. 

Whether students are looking for a hangout spot with friends, the perfect date night spot or a quiet place to study, Auburn never fails to flaunt its beautiful flora and fauna.

Maggie Randall | Culture Writer

Culture Writer

Share and discuss “Best places to experience nature in Auburn” on social media.