Auburn softball drops series against Ole Miss

Auburn softball fell to Ole Miss on Sunday 7-2 to lose the weekend series, dropping its record to 25-17-1 and 7-14 in the SEC.

Ole Miss took a 1-0 lead in the first inning after a pair of singles and a couple of groundouts brought in the game's first run. Auburn responded in the top of the second inning when— with two outs— Icess Tresvik continued her hot hitting streak with a single into center field. Amelia Lech sent a ball into left center for a single, advancing Tresvik to third. A throwing error brought Tresvik home to tie the game at 1-1. 

KK McCrary put Auburn on top 2-1 with a solo home run to left center, her eighth of the season, in the top of the third inning. The Rebels responded immediately in the bottom of the frame with a two-run homer to take a 3-2 lead. 

Ole Miss built on its lead in the fourth inning with back-to-back home runs, one for 2 runs and the other a solo shot. The Rebels final run came in the fifth inning off an Auburn error to make the game 7-2. 

Auburn tallied six team hits on the day, eight strikeouts, and two walks. Tresvik went 2-for-3 on the day with a double, and Riley McNemar recorder her first hit of the season with a double late in the seventh. 

Shelby Lowe and Maddie Penta each threw three innings in the game, with Lowe credited with the loss. Penta allowed four hits and runs, while striking out three, while Lowe allowed five hits and three runs, striking out one batter. 

“We didn’t play well,” said head coach Mickey Dean. “There’s no other way to describe it. We didn’t hit well. We didn’t pitch well. Our defense was susceptible. We’re going to have two really good days of practice ahead us to get ready for that last series of the regular season.”

Auburn will return home to play their final regular season series as they prepare to host No. 17 Alabama. The series is scheduled to start Thursday, May 2 at 7 p.m. CST and can be streamed on ESPNU.  

Luke McClure | Sports Writer

Luke McClure is a junior from Huntsville, Alabama, majoring in sports production. He joined The Plainsman in fall 2023.

Twitter: @lukemcclure0

Share and discuss “Auburn softball drops series against Ole Miss” on social media.