Gov. Ivey calls FFRF letter "misleading and misguided" in statement Friday morning

Gov. Kay Ivey delivers the 2019 state of the state address before a joint session of the Alabama Legislature in the Old House Chambers of the Alabama State Capitol on March 5, 2019.

Gov. Kay Ivey released a statement this morning responding to two recent letters from the Freedom from Religion Foundation (FFRF).

"I take seriously my responsibility to faithfully execute the laws -- and that includes safeguarding the religious freedom of all Alabamians, religious and non-religious alike," Ivey said.

The first letter from FFRF "chastises" the president of Snead State Community College for leading his staff in prayer. In their letter on Sept. 13, the group's Co-President, Annie Laurie Gaylor, stated that the prayers and scripture readings were a "clear abuse of authority."

On Sept. 21, FFRF sent an open letter to Auburn University President Chris Roberts. The letter outlined several complaints regarding the Unite event held on Auburn's campus on Sept. 12. 

The group held that, "Auburn University must put a stop to religion in it's athletic programs."

Requesting that the coaches be "educated on their constitutional duties," FFRF maintained that the hiring of chaplains for athletic teams was "unconstitutional."

“These ongoing and repeated constitutional violations at the university create a coercive environment that excludes those students who don’t subscribe to the Christian views being pushed onto players by their coaches,” FFRF said.

Ivey responded to the facts and complaints brought up by FFRF by highlighting the importance of the coaches' religious freedom as well as the students' freedom. She notes that no one who participated in the after-hours event was coerced to attend.  

"The facts described in your letters do not violate anyone's religious liberty," Ivey said. "The First Amendment protects the 'free exercise' of religion just as much as it prohibits government establishment of religion."

Sen. Tommy Tuberville also weighed in, responding to an AL.com article on X.

The governor closed her statement with Alabama's state motto: "We dare defend our rights." 

Auburn's Office of the President has not released a statement at this time.

Kristen Carr | Editor-in-Chief
Kristen Carr | Editor-in-Chief

Kristen is a senior majoring in journalism with a minor in business. She has been with The Plainsman since her freshman year serving as a sports writer, podcast editor and host, and most recently, operations managing editor. Carr is currently the editor in chief of The Auburn Plainsman. 

Twitter: @kristencarrau

Portfolio

Share and discuss “Gov. Ivey calls FFRF letter "misleading and misguided" in statement Friday morning” on social media.