The Kreher Preserve and Nature Center presented the AUsome Amphibians and Reptiles

<p>Alligator at Kreher Preserve &amp; Nature Center on October 27, 2023.</p>

Alligator at Kreher Preserve & Nature Center on October 27, 2023.

The Kreher Preserve and Nature Center (KPNC) educated Auburn locals with their AUsome Amphibians and Reptiles event, which is a presentation of the reptiles and amphibians in our state and beyond, Friday, Oct. 27, 2023 at 4:30 p.m.

This was the 10th annual celebration of the numerous species of reptiles and amphibians in the South. Each program throughout the year consists of anywhere from eight to 12 species.

According to the U.S. National Park Service’s website, “Amphibians and reptiles are both important members of aquatic and terrestrial ecosystems. Both groups serve as both predators and prey, and species that inhabit both ecosystems serve to transfer energy between the two systems.” 

The audience of the AUsome Amphibians and Reptiles event was involved in hands-on experiences with the animals as they were encouraged to touch some of them. People of all ages shrieked, laughed and smiled as the assistant handlers walked around the audience, so they could touch or see the animals up close.

The presentation consisted of four species of frogs, six species of turtles, three species of snakes and one baby alligator. 

Kayla Wilson, the speaker for the entirety of the event, is a teacher, naturalist and herpetologist for the KPNC. Wilson is an Auburn University alumna with a bachelor’s degree in organismal biology with a focus on conservation and biodiversity and has been working with the KPNC for nine years.

“We hold this event in order to increase the public’s knowledge and understanding of the reptiles and amphibians that call our woods home and to highlight some unique species of our state,” said Sarah Crim, education director of KPNC. 

Each time they host this event, the preserve aims to present species that are native to Alabama because it allows the diversity of amphibians and reptiles in this small portion of the South to be under the spotlight.

“We hope that by interacting and learning about reptiles and amphibians, it encourages people to protect them,” Crim said.

There are three AUsome Amphibians and Reptiles events each year. Crim explained that the Sept. event was more focused on reptiles, the October event was a mix of amphibians and reptiles and the Nov. event will be more focused on amphibians.

“I always enjoy seeing the turtles,” Crim said. “Alabama has the most turtle species diversity of any state in the nation, so it is always fun to see these cuties.”

As the event commenced, Wilson educated the audience on the meaning of herpetology, the study of amphibians and reptiles, as well as explaining her passion for these specific groups of animals.

“Variety is the spice of life,” Wilson said. “I like things that are different than us. I like all these species. I like how they deal with the same problems we do.”

Throughout the event, Wilson kept the crowd engaged by asking questions about the audience’s knowledge of each animal. There was also laughter from the audience as Wilson told jokes or informed the audience of the names of each animal.

Wilson said her favorite animal in the exhibit is the salamander, explaining that there are many different species of salamander and that they are mostly native to the South.

“I like being a voice for animals that a lot of people are not fond of and tend to kill, but they’re really misunderstood. It’s really super unfair because I mean a corn snake is less dangerous than a chihuahua,” Wilson said.

Wilson also said that she wants her education to be as accessible to the public as possible, adding that her favorite part of running the event is remembering her younger self starting at the KPNC and seeing herself now as an expert in her field.

Robert Collins, one of the children in attendance, said that he attended the presentation because of his love for reptiles and amphibians. Collins said that he would encourage other people to come to this event because he loves the KPNC and always goes there.

The mission of KPNC is to connect people to the nature around them. The preserve sees this event as a chance to begin forming those connections and spark participants’ interest to pursue it further. 

Maggie Randall | Culture Writer

Culture Writer

Share and discuss “The Kreher Preserve and Nature Center presented the AUsome Amphibians and Reptiles” on social media.