Tigers return home to face USC in marquee Sunday showdown

Tre Donaldson (#3) drives against SELU 11/10/23

Last season, Auburn traveled across the country to visit USC in Los Angeles. The Tigers took a lead into halftime of that game but the combination of turnovers, foul trouble and USC star Boogie Ellis were too much for Auburn to handle in a 74-71 loss. 

Just a day shy of one year later, the Trojans (5-4) will make the return trip to the Plains for a highly anticipated Sunday showdown. 

“This is a USC team that’ll finish in the top three or four in the Pac-12 without any question,” said head coach Bruce Pearl. “They’ve got the talent to beat anybody on any night…”

Both teams are riding waves of success over the past few seasons, as USC has qualified for three straight NCAA Tournaments and Auburn has made four of the last five. The Tigers (7-2) have not lost a nonconference game at Neville Arena since a 74-63 defeat to Oklahoma State on Jan. 30, 2016, with their streak currently sitting at 48 straight nonconference home wins. 

Auburn has won its last two games and seven of its last eight. Auburn’s seven wins have come by an average of just under 22.3 points per game, while its two losses were by a combined 11 points. Meanwhile, the Trojans have lost three of their last four, though two of the losses were to Oklahoma and Gonzaga – teams ranked in the top 11 of this week’s AP Poll.

Though this year’s Tigers look much different than the group that traveled to Los Angeles last season, the Tigers’ two top scorers from that game will suit up against the Trojans once again. Johni Broome led the team in scoring, with 16 points, and rebounding, with eight, in a losing effort at the Galen Center. Tre Donaldson scored 12 in the game, making a pair of 3-pointers.

The Trojans return Ellis, who scored 28 against the Tigers last season and averages 21.4 points per game so far this season. Star freshman guard Isaiah Collier, the former No. 1 recruit in the nation, averages 17 points per game for the Trojans. 

“We’ll have our hands full this Sunday preparing for what is probably the best combination of two guards we’ll see all year long in Isaiah Collier and Boogie Ellis,” Pearl said. “Isaiah was the No. 1 recruit in the country…then Boogie Ellis is probably the best scoring guard that we’ll see. He lit us up for 28 last year…those guys account for almost half of their offense.”

Freshman guard Bronny James will play in his second game for the Trojans after making his season debut in their last game, scoring four points in 17 minutes against Long Beach State.

The Trojans score 78.9 points per game, 101st in the nation. Auburn has only faced three offenses that score more per game than the Trojans: Baylor, Appalachian State and UNC Asheville. Those three opponents averaged 73 points against the Tigers, with each being held below their season average.

The Trojans have had great success getting to the foul line this season, attempting 24.3 free throws per game, though they hit their foul shots at a clip of just above 70%. This matchup could provide a tough test for an Auburn defense that has struggled to get stops without fouling. The Tigers rank among the nation’s bottom 50, committing 20 fouls per game.

The Tigers hope that history does not repeat itself as foul trouble was a major catalyst in last season’s loss to the Trojans. Auburn committed 25 fouls in that game and the Trojans attempted 27 free throws, making 22. Broome and Donaldson, Auburn’s two leading scorers, fouled out in that game, while K.D. Johnson finished with four fouls.

The Trojans have struggled defensively so far this season, ranking 218th nationally by giving up 72.7 points per game. Leading the USC defense, however, is 6-foot-11-inch Joshua Morgan, who has blocked 23 shots this season. 

Auburn has only faced two scoring defenses worse than the Trojans: Indiana and UNC Asheville. Auburn combined for 191 points in those two games, which were the most recent two games on the schedule.

Last season, the Tigers turned the ball over 23 times against the Trojans. This season, the Trojans have forced 13.67 turnovers per game. Auburn, however, ranks in the nation’s top 50 this season, turning the ball over just 10.3 times per game, including a three-turnover game against Indiana last Saturday.

“It starts with your point guard play and both Tre and Aden (Holloway) don’t turn the ball over a lot. They do a really good job of taking care of the ball and that’s where it starts,” Pearl said.

The game marks the Tigers’ return to Neville Arena after three straight games away from home. Auburn has not played at home since a Nov. 29 game against Virginia Tech and has only been at home in three of its first nine games. The game against the Trojans, however, begins a four-game stretch of home games for the Tigers.

“It’ll be great to get back home and play in front of our fans,” Pearl said.

Tipoff for Sunday’s game between the Tigers and Trojans will be at noon CST and the game will be nationally televised on ESPN.

Matthew Wallace | Assistant Sports Editor

Matthew is a senior from Huntsville, Alabama, majoring in journalism. He started with The Plainsman in fall 2021.

Twitter: @mattwallaceAU

Share and discuss “Tigers return home to face USC in marquee Sunday showdown” on social media.