AUMB reflects on win in "For Whom the Band Tolls"

<p>Members of the Auburn Marching Band cheering at the sight of the F-35 flyover during the 2023 Iron Bowl game</p>

Members of the Auburn Marching Band cheering at the sight of the F-35 flyover during the 2023 Iron Bowl game

Announced on Jan. 7, Metallica revealed that AUMB won the collegiate Division I and fan favorite categories in their inaugural marching band competition, For Whom the Band Tolls. The victories won AUMB $85,000 in musical equipment for the program.

The competition included categories for colleges and high schools of varying sizes. To compete, bands had to perform five Metallica songs. Being a finalist, Auburn University competed against Fresno State University, Iowa State University, University of Iowa, University of Texas at Austin and Western Illinois University. 

Although she couldn't watch the announcement, Kyla Hampson, junior in professional flight and music performance and one of the four drum majors, had a friend text her the news. She described feeling 'overjoyed' after hearing that the AUMB won the competition in the divisional category and the fan favorite section.

Hampson explained that winning the competition would hopefully create more opportunities for the band to show off its competitive side. 

Recounting what she felt as she performed, Hampson described the intensity of the fans during their performance. She explained whenever the band hit one of their marks, she could hear the fans echo across the stands. 

Hampson explained fans regularly hype up the band as they perform, but the energy radiating off the stadium felt different compared to other shows. Many fans showed their appreciation toward the band through social media and emails to the AUMB band director, Corey Spurlin.

Spurlin, also a professor in music, brought the competition idea to the drum majors after Metallica's announcement in April. According to Spurlin, the drum majors believed that competing would be beneficial and something the other band members would enjoy. 

Knowing they needed something to set them apart from the other bands, Spurlin used the LED light system created in 2017 by AUMB and electrical engineering alumnus Ben Brisendine. Spurlin and the band found ways to showcase their unique abilities through an updated light system, precise formations and energetic music.

When choosing music, Spurlin said they wanted the halftime show to feel like an actual Metallica concert, so they knew "Enter Sandman" had to be included in the show's finale. He explained that since a majority of the songs had lots of energy and drive, they wanted to add a contrast of a slower rock ballad within the performance. 

To find the fitting ballad for the show, Spurlin revealed that he played different songs to his wife, Ashley, to see what worked best. Of the songs Spurlin played for her, 'Nothing Else Matters' stuck out the most.  

"I played them for her," Spurlin said. "And I thought, if she recognizes one of these tunes, then that's the one we should use because that was chosen by someone who's not a huge fan, and that's the one she picked out."

Spurlin said that because of the competition's name, they knew "For Whom the Bell Tolls" needed to be included. They used "Wherever I May Roam" after the opener to match the pacing and tempo. A fan favorite at the basketball games, "Master of Puppets," played in the middle. 

Spurlin developed the formations with assistant band director Nicki Gross. Spurlin said they knew they wanted to shape bells on the field, with each bell ring corresponding to one of the bells. He explained they got the idea from watching past performances of the Metallica song.

Throughout the performance, AUMB marched into the Metallica logo, lightning bolts, a flame, tiger eyes and music notes. The band of 380 members also formed an electric guitar, with the strings lighting up to the notes of "Master of Puppets." During the finale, AUMB formed the word "Sandman."

Auburn University Marching Band presents "Metallica" during Auburn versus Ole Miss halftime show in Jordan-Hare Stadium on October 21st 2023.

Nerves and excitement filled the night of the Ole Miss game, said Ross Tolbert, center field conductor for that night's performance. Before they entered the field, Tolbert, junior in chemical engineering and pre-med, described the anticipation of watching the countdown on the jumbotron as they waited for the lights to dim in the stadium.

Reflecting on the band's rehearsals, Tolbert explained the problem-solving everyone had to do. Using the lighting system meant that the band had to practice in the dark, making it difficult for band members to see the drum majors. To combat the lack of visibility, Tolbert and the other drum majors put lights on their ladders to make it easier for band members to see. 

According to Tolbert and Hampson, the most complex song to perform in the show is "Master of Puppets," with the guitar formation and musical arrangement requiring more practice.  At their practice field, Tolbert said the drum majors taped the diagonals and other spots to help everybody with their positioning. 

The lighting system and ensuring all the hats synced presented another obstacle to the band. Hampson said that staff and band members who are engineering majors worked on malfunctioning hats during practice. 

Hampson explained that besides minor changes to formations or the music arrangements, practicing the performance went smoothly for the band.

While the band rehearsed, the color guard, flag lines and majorettes created choreography and adjusted to the new added weight of the lights on their equipment.

Majorette captain Natalie Henderson, senior in business management, minoring in human resource management, said that when building a choreography that best fit the sound and aesthetic of Metallica, the majorettes used light-up batons and 'flashy' movements.

With 12 majorettes, Henderson said the team feels like a family. Henderson had been an Auburn majorette since 2020, with the past season being her first year as captain. 

At the Ole Miss performance, Henderson recounted looking into the stadium and seeing lights shining back from the fans. As she performed, she looked over to see her instructor beaming. She explained that witnessing the joy on her instructor's face and hearing the audience's cheers made her feel like she was doing what she was meant to do. 

For Henderson, the last time performing in Jordan-Hare was at the Iron Bowl. She said she felt emotional because she spent time reflecting on her memories as a majorette. Henderson realized that none of the girls on her side had dropped their batons. They felt overjoyed, and once off the field, they all ran to hug each other. 

Henderson recalled sitting in her apartment with her roommate, who is also a majorette, as they waited to see if AUMB won the competition. Seeing it appear on their screen, Henderson said they both had a moment to reminisce on the season. 

"Even though there's 380 people in the band, I have met a ton of amazing people there, and it's prepared me for my life and work life. I am very grateful to have this role in such a big program," Henderson said.

For Anastasia Johnston, the flag line's 2023-2024 captain and senior in public and professional writing, the attention to detail stuck out most to her and the rest of the 28-member flag line. She explained the lights magnified their dance and flag movements, requiring every movement to be clean. 

To Johnston, the atmosphere in Jordan-Hare is awesome, with every member of the flag line wanting to leave everything out on the field. She remembered the nerves they felt before the Ole Miss performance because of the build-up on social media.

The band's second time performing the show in Jordan-Hare occurred during the Iron Bowl on Nov. 25, 2023. Hampson recalled that the band no longer felt nervous about the performance but instead felt excited to give the fans another chance to see the show. 

Tolbert described his view on the field as he and the band performed as 'surreal,' with fans applauding and screaming the choruses across the stadium. He explained that preshow music played as they marched onto the field, and silence fell in the stadium. 

To Tolbert, the silence felt weird yet exciting, with it being the quietest he had ever heard the stadium. Soon, cheers erupted when the first note of "For Whom the Bell Tolls" played. 

Also her last home performance, Johnston described the Iron Bowl as sentimental and fun because the fans had so much hype for the show. She said it was her favorite Metallica performance because it was daytime, allowing the audience to see their visuals more clearly.

After driving back from break, Johnston said that she saw the end of the TV announcement in her living room with her flag line roommate. She explained they initially felt unsure if they won, but once they realized they won, they felt thrilled. 

To Spurlin, the fans' support of the marching band has been significant. Spurlin recounted a moment at the Dec. 30, 2023 Music Bowl when a fan told him they had purchased a ticket in the lower bowl to see the game and another ticket in the upper bowl to see the performance. 

Hampson said Auburn fans' involvement through support and voting meant a lot.

"We really appreciate the Auburn family and as well as those who watched who weren't part of the family," Hampson said. "Thank you to everyone who has helped us out."

To both Tolbert and Hampson, AUMB's win in For Whom the Band Tolls highlighted the band's hard work and showcased the standards of AUMB. To Tolbert, the win allows the band to find creative ways to impress the audience. 

Since the football season, AUMB has focused on their pit band performances for the basketball season and their halftime show in Auburn's annual spring football game, A-Day. 

Spurlin explained the win shows both the band's effort and the support of fans.

"None of that would have any effect without their talent, their work ethic and the precision and energy they performed with," Spurlin said. "They worked extremely hard, and I want to give them the credit they deserve. Thank you to the fans and those who supported us."

Share and discuss “AUMB reflects on win in "For Whom the Band Tolls"” on social media.