Metallica-inspired halftime show "unique experience" for AUMB

<p>Auburn University Marching Band presents "Metallica" during Auburn versus Ole Miss halftime show in Jordan-Hare Stadium on October 21st 2023.&nbsp;</p>

Auburn University Marching Band presents "Metallica" during Auburn versus Ole Miss halftime show in Jordan-Hare Stadium on October 21st 2023. 

On Saturday, Oct. 21, during halftime of the Auburn and Ole Miss football game, the Auburn University Marching Band lit up the field in tribute to the heavy metal band Metallica.

Members of AUMB had LED lights attached to their hats that were synchronized with the performance. The band performed “For Whom The Bell Tolls,” “Wherever I May Roam,” “Master of Puppets,” ​​”Nothing Else Matters” and “Enter Sandman,” a selection of Metallica's most popular songs. 

Sara Valenzuela, junior in psychology, is a member of AUMB where she plays bass drum. She has been a member of AUMB since her freshman year. 

Valenzuela explained it takes a lot of effort to make the halftime shows as spectacular as they are. She expressed her joy for the Metallica performance because every member of AUMB, including herself, has been working on preparing for it for weeks and was happy to see the whole band's hard work pay off.

“It is always really nice to come out of a performance and have the whole Auburn family just love it,” Valenzuela said. 

Corey Spurlin, director of Auburn University Marching Band and associate professor of music, coordinated the elements of the Metallica performance, including the arrangements, the structure and the components of Metallica songs. Spurlin works with Nikki Gross, assistant director of athletic bands and an instructor in the music department, to create the formations. 

Spurlin explained that AUMB uses an app to show band members where to go throughout the performance, which is called drill, to create the formations. This performance required extra work because the marching drill had to incorporate the lighting components.

This was AUMB’s third light show, but it was their first performance during a night game in complete darkness, using the stadium lights to enhance the performance. Fans in the stadium cheered throughout the performance and turned on their cell phone flashlights in support of the band.

"The lighting effect of the show is a special occasion because it does take so much work,” Spurlin said. "The lighting component is very unique."

Spurlin explained that Auburn University alumnus Ben Brisindine helps with all the light shows and helped with this one as well. It is a collaborative effort to have the light effects and marching drill correspond.

Throughout the Metallica-inspired performance, members of AUMB moved across Pat Dye Field, their lighted hats changing colors to create formations symbolizing aspects of Metallica's songs. Some of the formations included bells, music notes, lightning bolts and a guitar.

The idea for the light shows originated back in 2017. With the help of Auburn engineers, AUMB was able to construct the lighting rigs to go on the band members’ hats.

This year, Metallica is holding a competition that challenges marching bands to create performances using their music. The winner will be selected through a voting system and announced on Dec. 1. AUMB plans to submit the performance as part of the D1 category, which offers $75,000 in cash prizes for first-place winners.

Spurlin expressed his appreciation for everyone's hard work and dedication that made the Metallica performance a huge success.

For those who missed the Oct. 21 performance, there will be another opportunity to see it during halftime at the Iron Bowl, which is scheduled for Nov. 25 in Jordan-Hare Stadium. 

Share and discuss “Metallica-inspired halftime show "unique experience" for AUMB” on social media.