Aubie the Tiger statue unveiled outside student center

Aubie standing in front of his freshly unveiled statue outside the Melton Student Center on February 24, 2024.

On the morning of Saturday, Feb. 24, Auburn University unveiled its new Aubie the Tiger statue, positioned outside of the Harold D. Melton Student Center. The bronze figure stands tall, modeled with an Auburn jersey and flag in hand.

The unveiling ceremony was hosted by Student Affairs and Dr. Bobby Woodard, senior vice president for student affairs. As the gathering grew in anticipation for the unveiling, esteemed speakers took to the podium to honor this iconic symbol of Auburn's spirit. 

President Christopher B. Roberts, Margaret Arnold, associate vice president for philanthropy, Jake Haston, the 2022-23 SGA president and Logan McKenna from the Aubie Program each shared their reflections on Aubie's significance and the journey leading to the creation of the statue.

The presence of Auburn students, alumni, faculty and friends of Aubie underscored the collective anticipation surrounding the unveiling. For many, Aubie is more than just a mascot; he is a cherished symbol of unity and tradition.

Aubie's statue is unveiled outside the Melton Student Center on February 24, 2024.

The university has been working on this project since Aubie clinched his 10th UCA Mascot National Championship in 2021. Jake Haston, during his tenure as SGA president, recognized Aubie's profound impact on student life and proposed the project to Roberts, Woodard, and the Board of Trustees. The project received approval in April 2023.

Preparation for the statue began early in the spring semester, with the university fencing off a sizeable plot for the project. In recent weeks, the project reached completion and an unveiling late in Feb. was announced.

The base of the Aubie statue at the Harold D. Melton Student Center as construction continues on January 23.

Acknowledgements flowed generously towards the Aubie program members, whose unwavering dedication fueled Aubie's legacy, and the generous donors who fully funded the project, providing the necessary resources to bring the statue to life. 

Alison Caswell, a sculptor at Firebird Bronze Foundry in Oregon renowned for her  representing mascots and animals, was able to capture Aubie's likeness and spirit.

Aubie has long been the beloved mascot of the university, from rapturous football games to Hey Day celebrations. 

President Roberts shared that his vision is for Auburn “to be a place where everyone is welcomed, valued, respected, and engaged. And Aubie embodies all of those values.”

Arnold and Haston shared anecdotes illustrating Aubie's remarkable ability to forge connections and foster lifelong friendships. Their stories underscored Aubie's profound impact on the Auburn community, transcending generations and impacting many who encounter him.

“Aubie connects us in a really special way,” Arnold said. 

McKenna remarked on the unveiling's timeliness, which came just weeks after Aubie's recent 11th UCA Mascot National Championship win, his two Hall of Fame awards and. He will celebrate his 45th birthday Feb. 28.

As the speakers concluded their remarks, a palpable sense of anticipation filled the air. The gathered crowd watched as the veil was lifted, revealing the Aubie statue. Cheers erupted, and applause filled the air as Aubie's bronze likeness stood proudly.

Share and discuss “Aubie the Tiger statue unveiled outside student center” on social media.