COLUMN | A love letter to Auburn women's basketball

STORRS, CT - MARCH 21 - Auburn’s Honesty Scott-Grayson (23) during the game between the (11) Auburn Tigers and the (11) Arizona Wildcats at Gampel Pavilion in Storrs, CT on Thursday, March 21, 2024.

Photo by David Gray/Auburn Tigers
STORRS, CT - MARCH 21 - Auburn’s Honesty Scott-Grayson (23) during the game between the (11) Auburn Tigers and the (11) Arizona Wildcats at Gampel Pavilion in Storrs, CT on Thursday, March 21, 2024. Photo by David Gray/Auburn Tigers

Throughout my last semester as a junior at Auburn, I found a new passion: women's basketball. 

During the 2023 fall semester, The Plainsman's editorial board wrote about women's sports and its importance on Auburn's campus. Moreover, we wrote about the importance of students showing up. 

Up until that semester, I had never attended a women's sporting event at Auburn. More than guilt for my lack of support for our school and female Auburn athletes, I felt excitement for new experiences. 

The first women's game I attended was Auburn volleyball. I played volleyball in my younger years, and I was ready to cheer on our team alongside our Editor-in-Chief Kristen Carr and Culture Editor Jolie Bishop. I'll be honest, I attended solely to back my word. If I'm going to tell our student body to show up, the least I can do is do the same myself. 

Following that, I went to my first Auburn women's basketball game because sadly, I caught the very end of the volleyball season, attending one of the last games of 2023. 

I've never been the biggest sports fan. I didn't grow up learning about sports, and when I don't know a lot about something, I usually have little interest in it. Regardless, I went to the Clemson versus Auburn game because words only go so far. Actions matter.

I wasn't expecting to be close to tears by the end of the game by any means. But, when you see a team dominate the court in the way that they did, it's hard to hide those emotions. 

After that game, I couldn't help but keep showing up. I not only found more love for the game of basketball as a whole, but for this 2023-24 Auburn women's basketball team. 

I might sound foolish, but just by showing up I feel like I know our team. I haven't missed a game unless I've had class or not been close enough to a screen to watch our women play. 

The only player I slightly know personally for Auburn is guard Carsen McFadden. We had a public relations class together, and did a group project together. Outside of Carsen, I know no one on the team personally. But when I watch Auburn play, I feel like I do. 

I catch myself yelling, "Go Tay, go," when Taylen Collins sets a screen to allow JaMya Mingo-Young to score. 

"Alright Kenna," exits my mouth every time McKenna Eddings hits an outlandish 3-pointer. 

Every time Sydney Shaw gets a good look, you can hear me screaming, "Shoot it, Syd!" 

I have nicknames and love for every Auburn Tiger on the court. I am constantly on the edge of my seat watching this team on the court, and these women truly deserve the spotlight. 

Head coach Johnnie Harris deserves the biggest praise of all. From her incredible coaching to her dedication to Auburn and her team, she is truly one of the best leaders I've ever seen. Calling on Auburn fans to show up and show out, while simultaneously supporting our mens' team, Harris is the leader Auburn women's basketball has needed.

While March 21, 2024 ended the Tigers' season against Arizona in the NCAA Tournament, Auburn is not done. Harris has been building this team and building a legacy like no other. I will never stop believing in Auburn or its teams because of players like Honesty Scott-Grayson and Kaitlyn Duhon. I will be strong and brave like Savannah Scott. I will believe in our future generations because of Celia Sumbane and Yakiya Milton. I will take risks like Mar'shaun Bostic. 

So, thank you ladies, for giving me something to look forward to every week, and for believing in Auburn and loving it.

Harlee Meydrech | Assistant Managing Editor

Harlee Meydrech, senior in public relations with a minor in business, is the assistant managing editor at The Auburn Plainsman.

Share and discuss “COLUMN | A love letter to Auburn women's basketball” on social media.