New barbecue restaurant adds 'seoul' to local cuisine

Everyone has his or her favorite barbecue recipes, but sometimes it might be nice to mix it up and try something new.

Seoul BBQ is a Korean style restaurant that will open in mid to late June to offer a refreshing twist on a Southern tradition.

Seoul BBQ is located at the old Quiznos location on South College Street next to Tutti Frutti.

Seoul BBQ has been long awaited in Auburn, but fans of the interesting cultural blend of food will have to wait a short while longer.

Will Deisley, former Auburn student said Korean barbecue is "kind of a mixture of Chinese food and American barbecue."

"I've been to a Korean barbecue place in Atlanta...and the real difference is how they marinate the meats," Deisley said. "It's delicious."

Kook Jae Kim, owner of Seoul BBQ, said she hopes that a taste of Korea will add to the already vibrant restaurant scene in Auburn.

"We hope this restaurant will provide (a) variety of cultural features, as well as true Korean traditional taste to the local community," Kim said.

Indeed, the look of Seoul BBQ is not that of a traditional Southern barbecue restaurant. The inside of the restaurant is flavored toward traditional Korean styles.

Seoul BBQ is family owned and operated, according to Dong Won Kim, son of the owner.

"My mother is a main chef for the restaurant, (and) is an official certificate holder of Korean and Western food licenses from South Korea," Dong Won said. "She has more than 20 years of school cafeteria and haute restaurant (work) as background experience."

Though the Kim family has not completed their menu and prices yet, they shared five choice menu items that are coming soon.

Dolsot-Bibimbap is a dish with vegetables, beef and egg, served over rice in a hot stone bowl with spicy mixing sauce. Bulgogi is sliced, marinated beef stir-fried with onions. Dduk Galbi Jeongsik will be a combination of grilled beef and pork with marinated house sauce.

More menu items include Bossam, which is steamed pork sered with assorted vegetable wraps and side dishes, and L.A. Gal-Bi, Los Angeles-style barbecued beef short ribs served with side dishes.

There are many more menu items to come from Seoul BBQ, but those are five of their most confident choices.

Seoul BBQ has had a long-anticipated opening, which was delayed due to unnamed issues with previous building contractors.

When it does open, the owners expect to serve Auburn well, due to its proximity to campus and focus on customer satisfaction.

"We will serve our dishes with sincere dedication, honesty, and courtesy," Dong Won said. "(And the) customer experience full satisfaction that will make them (want) to re-visit and (enjoy) the true Korean taste."

Seoul BBQ will be open 11 a.m. - 2:30 p.m., and 4:30 p.m. - 11 p.m. on weekdays, and weekends from noon - 9 p.m.

Share and discuss “New barbecue restaurant adds 'seoul' to local cuisine” on social media.