The guy that brought Bill Nye

As director of speakers and comedians for UPC, Scheuerle was responsible for booking the wildly popular Bill Nye for a speaking event in the Auburn Arena Thursday, Nov. 1. (Courtesy of Ricky Scheuerle)

Simply put, Ricky Scheuerle wants change.

As director of speakers and comedians for UPC, Scheuerle was responsible for booking the wildly popular Bill Nye for a speaking event in the Auburn Arena Thursday, Nov. 1.

The junior in microbiology said he enjoyed being able to help plan the event and meet a childhood idol, down to creating the music playlist played before Nye walked onstage.

Described by some students as a "mover and shaker" within UPC, Scheuerle sticks with one motto.

"Always be relevant," Scheuerle said. "That's what we try to go for."

Bringing Nye to campus was seen as a revival in what Scheuerle thought was an unfortunate record of not being able to book the best speakers possible.

"I'm very happy to say that there is a positive change occurring in the speakers and comedians section of UPC right now," Scheuerle said. "Bill Nye was a groundbreaker, so now there's a precedent to bring bigger and better speakers here. I want the same anticipation and hype that is afforded to the spring and fall concerts to apply to speakers and speaking events."

Scheuerle's interest in UPC began freshman year as a way to get involved when he came to Auburn from Austin, Texas, but by sophomore year he was on the Tiger Nights committee and looking to contribute other ways.

"I wanted to bring large-scale entertainment to Auburn," Scheuerle said. "I had an interest in shaping Auburn to be what I wanted it to be and what students wanted it to be. To bring people that were engaging, meaningful and popular."

Scheuerle doesn't like to think of himself as the sole coordinator of speakers and comedians, but sharing the role with assistant directors Connor Chilton, Miranda Marty, Madeline Moore and Jordan Owen.

"We all have a part in the planning process, conducting meetings and budget," Scheuerle said. "My title as 'director' usually applies to additional roles such as talking to the media, introducing speakers and acts and making sure I'm in constant contact with everyone to make sure events run smoothly."

Assistant Director and aviation management sophomore Miranda Marty described Scheuerle as a "visionary" in his planning and excitement for different events.

"The planning is a team effort, but Ricky sees beyond what the norm is," Marty said. "He's very innovative and creative, not to mention hilarious. We all love working with him."

Marty said that Scheuerle's willingness to try new ideas is what makes him a positive and visible participant in UPC.

"Ricky really contributes to our team by looking out beyond what everyone else sees," Marty said. "He always wants to have big ideas and think outside the box."

Assistant Director and senior in finance Jordan Owen praised Scheuerle's abilities as director and being able to include all willing participants in the event planning process.

"Ricky's great at keeping us all on track and being open to everyone's opinion," Owen said. "... I'm more detail-oriented, so it's really nice to be able to work with a 'big idea' person and plan popular events. He always has that big picture in mind, and it's worked out great this semester."

Owen will have to leave the close-knit group of directors when he graduates in December, but said he sees great things in the future for Scheuerle.

"He's done such a great job with this section of UPC," Owen said. "I hope he stays around as a 'big idea' person."

For now, Scheuerle and his directors are busy planning the speaking event for spring semester.

He won't reveal who UPC is looking at, but he did give some hints.

"It's going to be someone big," Scheuerle said. "We almost got them this past semester, they were our original idea. It's someone who's been an influence on your life, your entire life."

Share and discuss “The guy that brought Bill Nye” on social media.