Letter to the editor: Evolution not compatible with Christianity

In the most recent issue of The Plainsman, an article was written concerning the matter of evolution. The comment was made that evolution and Christianity could be reconciled by saying that God started the evolutionary process by creating one species and allowing everything to progress. My response does not intend to disprove evolution for everyone but rather to show fellow Christians that evolution and Christianity are incompatible.

The Christian who accepts evolution attempts to explain the seven days of creation figuratively as millions of years rather than literal days because if they are literal twenty-four hour days, then there would be insufficient time for the evolutionary process to take place. The theory of evolution requires species to live, die, and evolve slowly over millions of years. As Christians, we believe that death did not enter the world until Adam sinned in the Garden of Eden (Romans 5:12).

If death was non-existent before Adam's sin, how can evolution, which depends upon natural selection and the death of weaker species, be true?

Even after explaining Genesis 1 figuratively, there is no room for evolution in the Christian's theology. It is impossible for species to have died prior to Adam's sin, so how could man have evolved without the possibility of natural selection and death? The seven days in Genesis 1 were literal 24 hour days, and the creation account happened exactly as detailed. Fellow Christian, you cannot profess both Christianity and evolution -- they are incompatible.

Thomas Sherer

Senior

Mechanical Engineering

Share and discuss “Letter to the editor: Evolution not compatible with Christianity” on social media.