UPDATED: Football signee Bessent arrested on drug charges

Kalvaraz Bessent
Kalvaraz Bessent

Auburn football signee Kalvaraz Bessent was arrested early Saturday morning in Nassau County, Fla. according to online records.
Bessent, a 4-star cornerback from St. Mary's, Ga., was a former Alabama commitment who flipped to Auburn in December and signed his letter of intent Wednesday.
According to Nassau County sheriff Bill Leeper, the 2007 Dodge Charger Bessent was riding in was pulled over by a deputy sheriff Friday night at 10 p.m. for going 58 miles-per-hour in a 45 mile-per-hour zone on US Highway 1.
"Upon approaching the vehicle, there was a strong odor of burnt marijuana," Leeper said. "A search was conducted and 202.5 grams of marijuana was found under the front seat and driver's seat in four separate bags."
According to Leeper, all four people in the car refused to admit ownership of the drugs, so all four were arrested on three separate charges.
The charges were one count of possession of more than 20 grams of marijuana, one count of possession of drug paraphernalia, and, according to Leeper, because of the way the marijuana was packaged, one count of intent to distribute.
Bail for the possession of the marijuana and the intent to distribute was set at $2,502, while the paraphernalia charge added another $502, a combined total of $5,506.
A Jacksonville man named Elbert Thornton was driving the car at the time the stop was made, but Leeper said he doesn't know who the car belongs to.
Bessent's arraignment is set for Feb. 27.
According to a team spokesman, Auburn head coach Gus Malzahn "is aware of the situation and is continuing to gather information."
Updates to come when they are made available.

Share and discuss “UPDATED: Football signee Bessent arrested on drug charges” on social media.