New sorority coming to Auburn

Auburn University announced that Tri Sigma sorority will be adding a chapter at Auburn, increasing the total number of sororities from 17 to 18.

The increasing number of women participating in recruitment was part of the reason why Auburn decided to extend in January of this year, according to Jill Moore, director of Greek Life. 

“The growth in interest in sorority membership here has outpaced our growth in chapters,” Moore said. 

Since 2002, the number of sororities on campus has grown, as well as the total number of women participating in recruitment. A record breaking 1,615 women participated in recruitment this year alone and 1,489 were given bids. The number of members in each sorority increased from 192 to 255 in the last decade. 

Moore said smaller sororities can give members a more meaningful experience.

“The ability to know one another more closely, and more internal leadership opportunities,” Moore said. “We want to achieve that by having more chapters, not by reducing the number of people who can join.”

Kaye Schendel, national Tri Sigma president, said she is beyond excited about starting a chapter at Auburn. 

"The most exciting thing about starting at Auburn University is that we are joining a very value oriented, healthy, vibrant Panhellenic community with an already rich history," Schendel said. "And we hope we can contribute to that and offer our own unique brand." 

Chris Lucas, inter-fraternity adviser, said he is excited for the opportunities that will be available to more women.

“Having another sorority with a total set membership of 242 means there are 242 more spots for women to join,” Lucas said.

Two sororities were running for the new spot on campus: Delta Phi Epsilon and Sigma Sigma Sigma. 

Tri Sigma was chosen after completing an extensive process prescribed by the National Panhellenic Council and presenting in front of the Extension Committee.

“A notice was sent to every NPC sorority without a chapter here,” Moore said.  “It talked about who we are and outlined the things that we would want to know from a sorority that wants to be here.”

Tri Sigma believes in five core values: faith, hope, love, wisdom, and power. According to Schendel, the sorority's mission is to empower women to change the world.

"We hope to bring relevant, innovative leadership programs that are rooted in empowerment," Schendel said. "We are committed to making sure the programs offered are designed with lifelong learning experience in mind." 

Vice president for recruitment Sammy Peters said she believes it is time for Auburn's Greek community to expand.

"It will definitely allow more people who want to go Greek, to go Greek," Peters said. "It's a great thing that they get to come on campus and show their personality and bring their own traditions to Auburn." 

Although the new sorority has been chosen, Moore said it will not be until next fall that the chapter actually begins recruitment. 

"The invitation from Auburn Panhellenic will say that they can come in 2016," Moore said.

Share and discuss “New sorority coming to Auburn” on social media.