No. 4 Equestrian knocks off defending national champion South Carolina

The fourth-ranked Auburn equestrian team upset No. 2 South Carolina, the defending national champions, 14-6 on Friday in Blythewood, South Carolina.

Auburn (2-0, 1-0 SEC) won with consistency, outscoring South Carolina 7-3 in both halves en route to the program’s second consecutive win over the Gamecocks.

In the first half, the Tigers won Reigning 4-1, led by senior Haley Munger, who defeated Kara Guertin 74-72.5 and earned Most Outstanding Player, and freshman Blair McFarlin, who defeated Bridgett White, 72-69, for her first career win.

The Tigers won Fencing in the first half, 3-2, led by junior Ashley Foster, who defeated Samantha Kraus, 90-86, and won MOP honors. Senior Elizabeth Benson and freshman Caitlin Boyle also scored points in the event.

In Equitation on the Flat, Foster clinched an Auburn victory with an 87-83 victory over Samantha Smith. Benson closed the match with a 96-82 win over Lauren Fabiano and won the 20th MOP honor of her career.

“This is a great win,” Auburn coach Greg Williams said. “Winning on the road, particularly against any SEC team, is really hard. Our girls, we have been talking about this all along, have been preparing so well. I actually had an expectation that we were going to win, and they deserved to win. They rode fantastic today. I can’t wait for more meets now.”

Share and discuss “No. 4 Equestrian knocks off defending national champion South Carolina” on social media.