Stephen Howard pleads guilty to four drug-related charges, not guilty on two others

Stephen Howard, former Auburn University employee, had his change of plea hearing in a federal courtroom in Montgomery, Alabama on Wednesday, Oct. 28.

Howard pleaded guilty on four of the six counts he has been indicted for. The four counts Howard has decided to plea guilty include two counts of distribution of a the controlled substance, 1,4-butanediol, one count of possession of 1,4-butanediol with intent to distribute and one count of possession of methamphetamine.

The change of plea hearing was held in the federal courtroom of U.S. Magistrate Judge Charles S. Coody. Coody asked Howard a series of questions regarding his request to change his plea, ultimately reaching the decision of allowing him to do so.

Howard knowingly faces up to 20 years in prison for the distribution of a controlled substance. A sentencing date has not been set.

Howard pleaded not guilty to the other two counts, which included the possession of firearms during a drug trafficking crime.

The trial addressing the two counts Howard has pleaded not guilty to has been scheduled for January 2016.

Howard was arrested on Friday, May 22, for selling 1,4-butanediol, commonly known as the date-rape drug, to an undercover Auburn police officer on two occasions, May 7 and May 14.

The Auburn Police Division conducted a search at Howard’s residence May 22 where they found bottles of 1,4-butanediol and discovered Howard had possession of methamphetamine.

Howard was denied bail at his preliminary and detention hearing May 27.

Howard originally pleaded not guilty at his arraignment hearing Tuesday, June 16, but filed to change his plea Oct. 19, according to court documents.

Howard was a former chemical laboratory technician at Auburn. Howard resigned from his position at the University on June 2, after he was arrested in May.

Howard worked in the department of polymer and fiber engineering, which the Auburn University Board of Trustees voted to close Friday, June 5.

Share and discuss “Stephen Howard pleads guilty to four drug-related charges, not guilty on two others” on social media.