Men's golf in 14th place after second round of Amer Ari Invitational

<p>Michael Johnson fired a 2-under-par 70 in the second round of the Amer Ari Invitational in Waikoloa, Hawaii, on Friday, Feb. 5, 2016. (Contributed by Auburn Athletics)</p>

Michael Johnson fired a 2-under-par 70 in the second round of the Amer Ari Invitational in Waikoloa, Hawaii, on Friday, Feb. 5, 2016. (Contributed by Auburn Athletics)

The top-ranked men's golf team improved slightly on its first-round performance but still sits well off the lead after the second round of the Amer Ari Invitational.

Auburn shot a 2-over-par 290 as a team — an improvement from a 5-over-par 293 in the first round — and sits in 14th place after Day Two of the three-day tournament in Waikoloa, Hawaii.

Senior Jake Mondy, playing as an individual in the tournament, fired the best round of the day by an Auburn golfer, shooting a 3-under-par 69 to climb into a tie for 27th place.

Senior Michael Johnson is also tied for 27th after carding a 2-under-par 70 in Round Two. Sophomore Ben Schlottman improved on his first-round performance, firing a 1-under-par 71 to climb 25 spots into a tie for 46th.

Freshman Jacob Solomon, who led the team with a 2-under-par 70 in Round One, slipped back to a tie for 39th with a 2-over-par 74 on Friday.

UCLA's Jonathan Garrick and Cole Madey are tied atop the individual leaderboard after two rounds at 9-under-par 135.

No. 23 UCLA (279-272—551) leads the field of 19 teams by two strokes heading into the final round, which will be played on Saturday at the Kings' Crossing Course at the Waikoloa Beach Resort.

Share and discuss “Men's golf in 14th place after second round of Amer Ari Invitational” on social media.