Fire extinguished in Lowder Hall

An early morning fire on the second floor of Lowder Hall has been extinguished. Auburn Public Safety has confirmed there were no injuries.

Surrounding buildings were not affected by the fire, but Lowder and its rear parking lot will remain closed today, Monday, June 27. Employees who work in the building are being told not to report. University officials said it is likely the building will remained closed this week.

The building has sustained damage to its second floor, said Public Safety Interim Executive Director Chance Corbitt. There is no visible external damage. Corbitt said no possible cause had been determined this morning.

"We do not have a possible cause at this time," Corbitt said. "As with any fire on campus, we will do a full investigation with the fire department, police department and the state fire marshall's office. At some point a determination will be made."

The fire division responded at approximately 5 a.m., and the fire was completely extinguished almost two hours later.

Director of University Communications Mike Clardy said 29 Lowder classrooms are in use this summer and the number of students displaced is probably going to be in the hundreds.

All of the affected classes will be relocated to other buildings within the next week, Clardy said. 

War Eagle Way, the service street running behind Lowder Hall, was briefly closed for first responders but has been reopened Monday for employees who work in other buildings. 

Lowder Hall, located on the corner West Magnolia Avenue and South Donahue Drive, was built in 1992. The building underwent a $5.6 million renovation in 2014. 

Continue to check ThePlainsman.com for updates.

Share and discuss “Fire extinguished in Lowder Hall” on social media.