Softball wins two on Friday

There were no worries for the The No. 2 Auburn softball team on Friday afternoon as they defeated Creighton, 8-0 in five innings, and SIUE, 8-1 at Jane B. Moore Field. Auburn (6-1) combined for six extra-base hits, including three home runs on the day.

“I thought Corey [Myers] summed it up, we’re figuring out ways to win and we have no quit,” said head coach Clint Myers. “Right now, we’re a dangerous team because if we get firing on all cylinders, you’re going to see one heck of a team. Our pitching has been good and our defense, for the most part, has been good. When we get the bats going, that’s the name of [the game]. We’ve been getting some timely hits, though, so that’s a good thing.”

Haley Fagan, Courtney Shea and Carlee Wallace led the Tigers at the plate. They all accounted for multiple hits on the afternoon. Fagan added a team-high four RBI, while Kasey Cooper and Shea accounted for three RBI.

Kaylee Carlson was brilliant in the circle in both contests. The junior allowed just three hits and struck out eight, while holding opponents to hit just .094 on the day.

In the first matchup vs. Crieghton (1-6), both teams were held scoreless through the first two innings.

Fagan then blasted a home run off of the the scoreboard. Auburn also took advantage of a Bluejay miscue to plate another run and make it 4-0. Auburn would plate four more runs, ending the game in the fifth inning and winning 8-0.

Auburn struggled with offense early on in the second game of the day, but in the third inning things started going the Tigers way.

With two runners on, Wallace drove a double into the right-center gap to score two and make it a 2-0 ballgame.

Fagan then came in and hit a triple which scored another run. Later in the inning, Shead drove Fagan in making it a 4-0 ballgame after three innings.

In the fifth, Wallace started with a single. Veach stepped to the plate and delivered with a two-run roundtripper. The next batter, Shea tattooed her first homer of the season on a liner that cleared the right field wall and made it 7-0.

While her teammates were taking care of the offense, Carlson was putting on one of the best pitching performances of her career. The pitcher retired 16 of her first 17 batters, and was dealing a no-hitter until the sixth inning.

Wallace would drive in one more run late in the contest to secure Auburn's 8-1 victory over Creighton.

The Tigers return to the diamond today for a doubleheader at the Plainsman Invitational. Auburn kicks off the day with a 3:30 p.m. showdown with Evansville before facing Creighton again at 6 p.m.

Share and discuss “Softball wins two on Friday ” on social media.