Cooking with Anne: Five snacks to make when you're feeling munchy

I am a constant snacker. I always pack snacks when I go to work or school thinking "oh I'll just eat this when I get hungry," but always end up reaching for that protein bar out of boredom an hour into my seven hour work day.

Snacking can be bad, but it doesn't always have to be. You can choose healthier, less fattening snacks to fill you up. 

By filling up on healthier items, you are less likely to binge as opposed to not eating all day and then shoving your face with the first thing you see when you walk in the door. 

Here are a few of my favorite things to eat when I'm feeling helplessly snacky.

1. Apples and peanut butter 

What a combo. A nice Granny Smith apple drizzled with a tablespoon of melted peanut butter. It can't get any better. It's also super filling and acts as my dessert most nights. 

Tip: Jiff makes a chocolate peanut butter spread that is to die for. Go try it.

2. Rice cakes topped with literally anything

I love to smother a rice cake in cream cheese and a splash of buffalo sauce for a savory snack, but I have also found that topping a rice cake with peanut butter and some dark chocolate chips can seriously hit the spot. 

You can't go wrong either way. Also, bagel thins can replace the rice cakes. 

3. Grapes

Grapes are my favorite healthy snack to eat when I want something sour like candy. They're sour, crunchy and delicious, and definitely help curb my sweet tooth.

4. Popcorn

Be careful here, though. Don't go grabbing extra butter and thinking that's okay. Most regular or light butter popcorn can be the best snack if eaten in moderation. 

I typically pack about four or five cups in a plastic bag and keep it in my purse for "emergencies."

5. Crispy potato fries

You're probably wondering how fries can be healthy. I cut up one potato into strips and bake them until they are crispy. I make these fries almost every night, and let me tell you what it's the best way to end the night. 

All you do is spray the potatoes with olive oil spray and toss some salt and pepper on there. Throw them in the oven on 450 for 30 minutes and bam, you have fries. 

If you're as snacky as I am, I hope this gave you a few new ideas. Don't pig out on things you'll regret later, try these yummy treats and stay on track. 

Share and discuss “Cooking with Anne: Five snacks to make when you're feeling munchy” on social media.