Rolling of Toomer's Corner Oaks voted 'Best Sports Tradition'

Despite the Toomer's Oaks bad luck over the past few years, the rolling of the trees was just named the nation's "best sports tradition." 

USA Today 10 Best Reader's Choice made the call and rolled Auburn's tradition all the way to the top of the rankings. 

The tradition has featured Auburn fans of all ages throwing their first of many toilet paper rolls into the large oaks after Auburn wins. 

The trees have prevailed through many controversies in the past few years including the poisoning of the oaks in 2013 and the burning in 2016. 

Over the years, these wins have been mostly on the football field, but fans have rolled the trees after political elections, an equestrian championship, basketball games and more. 

The tradition is said to have started many ways, but a well-known tale says that because of the only telegraph in the city being located at Toomer's Drugs — which was then an actual drug store — the employees would receive news of the win and throw the ticker tape from the telegraph over and around the power lines. 

The win for Auburn's tradition was decided by the public. Auburn's rolling tradition was nominated by USA TODAY's editors from 10BEest.com and expert contributors. 

After an eventful football and basketball season, the Oaks have seen much action from the football win over the University of Georgia and the University of Alabama. 

Claiming the SEC title in Men's Basketball also brought fans out for a light rolling recently. 

Auburn may not see much cold weather, but the Tiger fans sure know how to make it snow year-round. 

Share and discuss “Rolling of Toomer's Corner Oaks voted 'Best Sports Tradition'” on social media.