Auburn and Opelika host joint legislative reception for the first time in 8 years

Legislators and representatives from local businesses filled the Auburn University Regional Airport on Monday night at the first area joint chambers of commerce legislative reception in years.

The 2018 Legislative Reception, hosted by the Auburn and Opelika Chambers of Commerce, brought members from both chambers to the table with representatives and senators from Montgomery.

Attendees included state senators Gerald Dial, R-Lineville, and Tom Whatley, R-Auburn and Rep. Joe Lovvorn, R-Auburn, who all spoke to the groups about their work in the Legislature on locally centered issues.

"I think this event is great," Whatley said. "If you are engaged with your leaders, they know what you want."

He spoke of the opportunity he had to speak with constituents on a variety of topics, including air conditioning and heating, the education bill and the economy and businesses in both downtown areas.

"If you are not at the table, you're on the menu," Whatley said.

Auburn Chamber of Commerce President Lolly Steiner said this event surpassed their expectations. More than 150 guests attended the reception, which was the first time that Auburn hosted an after-hours legislative event.

Opelika Chamber of Commerce President Pam Powers-Smith said that the last time that the two chambers hosted the event together was 8 years ago.

The airport was chosen because of its location — half of the airport lies within Opelika city limits and the other half within Auburn city limits.

Robin Bridges, the vice president of the Auburn and Opelika Tourism Bureau, spoke of her experience working with the legislators.

"There were more issues that needed to be addressed," Bridges said. "We were getting advice and input on some things, specifically on the brunch bill."

The brunch bill has been a topic of discussion for the last several months, and it would allow restaurants in cities that adopt it to begin selling alcohol at 10 a.m. on Sundays. 

Lovvorn joked with attendees that those who opposed the bill by claiming that they do not want to see individuals drinking before noon on Sundays should be in church during those hours, rather than in restaurants.

Research done by the Tourism Bureau indicates that restaurants have the opportunity to make more than $25,000 annually because of the extra two hours on Sunday.

Auburn City Council will hear the proposed ordinance at its regular meeting on Tuesday.

Share and discuss “Auburn and Opelika host joint legislative reception for the first time in 8 years ” on social media.