Fortune Teller: Sophomore DE Nick Coe is sleeping giant behind Auburn DL veterans

In the last edition of this offseason’s “Fortune Teller” series, the player discussed is definitely not least

Every Monday and Thursday, Plainsman sports staffers Zach Tantillo and Nathan King will analyze an Auburn football player who has a chance to make a sizable impact on the team next season.

Today’s Fortune Teller focuses on backup defensive end Nick Coe and his impact along the defensive line as his role expands.

In the last edition of this offseason’s “Fortune Teller” series, the player discussed is definitely not least.

Defensive end Nick Coe is stuck sitting behind three-year starter Marlon Davidson, but the redshirt sophomore has shown that he can be one of the more effective players on field when given the chance.

In 2017, Coe saw action on only 48 percent of defensive snaps, but still made the opposing offense feel his presence. In his freshman campaign, Coe compiled 29 total tackles (17th on the team), 4.5 tackles for loss (7th) and two sacks (7th). Now, those stats do not dazzle by any means, but when looking past the box score, stats show Coe was the most successful player on Auburn’s defense.

According to Football Study Hall, Coe posted a team-low 6.9 percent opponent success rate – including having a perfect success rate for most of the season. Success rate is defined as the offense's success rate on plays in which the defender made a tackle. 

Coe also places fifth on the team on the defense with nine run stuffs without even playing half of defensive snaps. Stuffs are rushes stopped at or behind the line. They are not necessarily tackles for loss (since they include zero-yard gains), so adding sacks and stuffs won't necessarily equal TFLs.

At 6-foot-5, 282 pounds, Coe has packed on 12 pounds from last season, yet still possesses the same speed and athleticism from his lighter frame. His athleticism and ability to man-handle blockers dates back to his wrestling days in high school.

“He’s a different kind of guy … because he’s long, he’s strong, but then you see the fact that he was an accomplished wrestler,” Auburn defensive coordinator Kevin Steele said. “He understands leverage. He understands use of hands, he understands body leverage. I mean, that’s wrestling. And when you apply that to defensive line, then it allows him sometimes to even play bigger than he is.”

Prediction

Coe has the size, length, strength and athleticism to start on almost any other defensive line in the country, but the fact that Auburn’s defensive line is so stout makes it hard for Coe’s impact to be noticed.

The North Carolina native also has the versatility to play three different positions on the line and in emergency positions come in to play a little nose tackle, according toSteele.

In many occasions last season to get Coe on the field, Coe lined up at defensive end with Davidson moved inside. Expect more of the same this season with Coe using his versatility to be able to line up anywhere Steele or Malzahn needs him. 

Catch up on previous installments of the Fortune Teller series:

Share and discuss “Fortune Teller: Sophomore DE Nick Coe is sleeping giant behind Auburn DL veterans” on social media.