Simpson Fletcher/ Staff Writer

The Auburn Plainsman
News

Fountain View Mansion Hosts Festive Tour

Fountainview Mansion, on more than 100 acres near the Chewacla State Park, kicked off its first Season of Celebration last Saturday with its Season Gala Grand Opening Tour.Guests were greeted by owners Gary and Julie Klarenbeek and were offered warm pineapple cider and holiday refreshments as they toured the extensively decorated home.Guests also enjoyed the Auburn United Methodist Church hand bell choir, which played throughout the day.Nativity scenes, poinsettias, lights, garland, ornaments, angels, candles and almost 80 Christmas trees filled each hallway and room.Several rooms were themed.One room in particular paid tribute to Auburn with orange and blue lights adorning its garland and tree."There's so much gloom and doom this holiday season, I feel like," said Gary Klarenbeek.

The Auburn Plainsman
Campus

Discover Auburn lecture focuses on evolution

The Discover Auburn series, a yearlong series featuring programs on research, history and other topics of interest, held its last lecture of 2009 Wednesday afternoon, titled "Evolution Proven: The Curious Development of American Anti-Evolution."The talk was given by Charles Israel, chair of Auburn's Department of History, in the Special Collections and Archives Department of the Draughon Library.A special exhibit commemorating the 200th anniversary of Charles Darwin's birth and the 150th anniversary of the first publication of Darwin's "Origin of Species" is in the Special Collections and Archives Department as well.

The Auburn Plainsman
Sports

Auburn Volleyball Falls Short to Florida

Auburn Women's Volleyball (14-12, 6-9 SEC) fell to the No. 9 Florida Gators (20-3, 14-2 SEC) Sunday in three sets, 25-15, 25-18 and 25-14, in Gainesville.The big players of the day were sophomore outside hitter Kelly Fidero and freshman outside hitter Sarah Bullock.Fidero recorded nine kills and two service aces during the match while Bullock had eight kills and eight digs."I think one of the team's biggest strengths against Florida was our serving," Bullock said.

The Auburn Plainsman
News

Student Superstitions are 'Security Blankets'

Halloween has been a holiday filled with superstition for hundreds of years.Walking under open ladders and black cats crossing paths have become common superstitions.But why?"We believe in 'bad luck,' when, for example, a black cat crosses my path on my walk to school and five minutes later I trip and fall," said William Buskist, psychology professor.

The Auburn Plainsman
News

City of Auburn Develops Traffic Routing Application

The City of Auburn has introduced a new Web application allowing citizens to find more efficient routes around town thanks to the Information Technology Department-Geographic Information System division.The idea was a melding of two projects, said Christopher Graff, GIS coordinator for Auburn."The application not only helps the fire and police departments' response times," Graff said.

The Auburn Plainsman
Campus

Tiger Dining hosts 'interesting' sushi class

Even though sushi can be traced all the way back to 4th century B.C. in Southeast Asia, it is still a popular meal choice today and about 20 students took advantage of making their own in Terrell Hall Wednesday night.Tiger Dining hosted the event allowing participants to create both California and spicy shrimp rolls with instruction from sushi chef Chris Lin."It gives the chefs a chance to get involved with students," said Gina Groome, marketing manager for Tiger Dining. "We hand the theme off to the chefs to let them be creative with what they want to do."

More articles »