Tigers Prepare to Take on Wildcats, Volunteers

JD Schein / PHOTO STAFF
JD Schein / PHOTO STAFF

After an SEC-packed weekend ending in wins against Ole Miss (6-10) and Arkansas (8-9), the Auburn Women's Volleyball team will face Kentucky (15-1) Friday in Lexington at 6 p.m. and Tennessee (10-5) Sunday in Knoxville at 12:30 p.m.

The two wins mark the first time since 2004 that Auburn has picked up back-to-back conference victories and marks the fourth time the Tigers have defeated the Razorbacks in the series.

The team struggled in its match against Arkansas Sunday with missed serves. It gave up five uncontested points off serves in the first set.

Head coach Wade Benson said that's something the team will have to execute in its upcoming matches, stressing the team must "serve tough" next weekend.

"Kentucky is a really big team, and if they're in-system, they're tough," Benson said. "Tennessee is the same way. Anybody can beat anybody in the SEC, and it's proven all the time."

No. 15 Kentucky is coming off a five-set victory against South Carolina (10-5) in Columbia Sunday and remains undefeated in the SEC.

The Wildcats lead in the series against Auburn 25-9, defeating the Tigers in 2008 in both match-ups.

Junior Liz Crouch, a defensive specialist for Auburn, said the team will continue to practice playing as a team to prepare for next weekend's matches.

Crouch recorded her 1,000th dig Sunday against the Razorbacks, ranking her sixth all-time at Auburn.

"I think we'll just continue practicing closing the games after 20 (points) and push harder," Crouch said.

In the Tigers' match against Arkansas Sunday, the sets often came down to the last two points with the Tigers winning each of the last three games by only a margin of two or three.

Kelly Fidero, a sophomore outside hitter, said the team will continue to work on its weaknesses in practice in order to get ready for its upcoming matches.

"We always work on our biggest weaknesses the next week in practice, and it's been working out for us," Fidero said.

Tennessee defeated Auburn in 2008 both times the teams met.

"We've been improving gradually," Fidero said. "As you can see, our wins are showing up."

Share and discuss “Tigers Prepare to Take on Wildcats, Volunteers” on social media.