Tiger Dining hosts 'interesting' sushi class

Even though sushi can be traced all the way back to 4th century B.C. in Southeast Asia, it is still a popular meal choice today and about 20 students took advantage of making their own in Terrell Hall Wednesday night.

Tiger Dining hosted the event allowing participants to create both California and spicy shrimp rolls with instruction from sushi chef Chris Lin.

"It gives the chefs a chance to get involved with students," said Gina Groome, marketing manager for Tiger Dining. "We hand the theme off to the chefs to let them be creative with what they want to do."

Tiger Dining hosts an Executive Chefs Kitchen each month on a Wednesday night in Terrell Hall allowing students to get creative with their culinary sides. They have already put on workshops on how to create truffles and bruschetta this semester.

Groome said that the workshops provide students with a more enjoyable dining experience while learning about how to make new things.

"Students can have a quick lunch on campus, but it's not really an enjoyable dining experience like this is," Groome said.

Chris Lin, who had encouraging words for students struggling with their creations, makes sushi for the whole campus that can be purchased at Outtakes in the Student Center.

Lin said he likes creating sushi because there are no limits to what he can do.

"It's interesting for students because sushi making is different than most things," Lin said.

Ashley Schuetze, a junior in history, said it's interesting to learn about cultures through food as well.

"I've never made sushi before, and I've never actually eaten it," Schuetze said. "I just like trying new things."

First, students covered their bamboo mats in plastic wrap trimming the edges with a knife to create a tight seal. Sliced avocado was then rubbed all over the surface of the mat to ensure no sticking.

A sheet of roasted dried seaweed was laid flat on the mat, and a hand-full of pre-cooked sushi rice was placed down, pulling and flattening it until the seaweed sheet was no longer visible.

Next, students flipped the seaweed and rice sheet over to place the seaweed side up. Four to six avocado slices were placed down first, followed by crab and julienned cucumber slices.

The edge of the sheet was tucked inward rolling the sheet over itself while pulling tightly. If too much rice is used, the roll won't close. The bamboo mat is also used to roll sheet to it's tightest. Sesame seeds were then added to the outside of the roll.

Finally, the roll is cut in half, then ideally into eight pieces.

Students were also allowed to take their bamboo mats with them in order make their own sushi at home. They were given instruction sheets on how to make and season sushi rice, since it was already provided for them at the strart of the workshop, as well.

"It's a cultural experience that allows students to taste foods from other countries providing students with a dining experience," Groome said.

Share and discuss “Tiger Dining hosts 'interesting' sushi class” on social media.