Discover Auburn lecture focuses on evolution

The Discover Auburn series, a yearlong series featuring programs on research, history and other topics of interest, held its last lecture of 2009 Wednesday afternoon, titled "Evolution Proven: The Curious Development of American Anti-Evolution."

The talk was given by Charles Israel, chair of Auburn's Department of History, in the Special Collections and Archives Department of the Draughon Library.

A special exhibit commemorating the 200th anniversary of Charles Darwin's birth and the 150th anniversary of the first publication of Darwin's "Origin of Species" is in the Special Collections and Archives Department as well.

"Darwin has been such an integral figure in our state and nation in the last 150 years," said Hunter Morgan, sophomore in public administration. "I wanted to learn about the thoughts surrounding him and how they evolved. No pun intended."

Israel said anti-evolution is not a topic that has died even though people were claiming it had as far back as the 1920s.

A large portion of the lecture focused on the debate of teaching evolution in schools. They were the starting point for the anti-evolution movement after compulsory eduction laws essentially forced children to go to school, Israel said.

He also said until there were people teaching the idea of evolution in schools and it was in text books, the idea did not really hit home.

Schools were the place where captive minds could be molded, and people believed the way to change the country was by what children were being taught, Israel said.

"I was curious to see an academic perspective as to how the anti-evolution movement started, how it came about," said Laura Coursen, senior in psychology.

Israel also focused on the comparison between evolution and religion.

He said to think of Darwinism as atheism is the wrong path to go down when making the relationship between the two. Science and theology do not have to be at odds, Israel said.

"Coming from a rural area of Alabama, ignorance of basic scientific principles is widespread," said Matt Panky, junior in chemical engineering and physics. "It doesn't make sense to me how people can reject proven basic scientific principles."

Israel also said the biggest problem for the perpetuation of the anti-evolution movement is anti-evolutionists themselves debating what the correct thing is to replace evolutionist theory.

Bad theology exists in claiming that religion and evolution have to conflict because not everyone is the same in their theology, Israel said.

"I find it strange there still is an anti-evolution movement in America," said Aaron Piltt, senior in psychology. "We are so far separated from the 'Origin of Species' and Darwin, 150 years out, why is there still such a resistance to it?"

Israel concluded by saying he thinks the anti-evolution movement will continue as long as it is controlled at the local level, in what is printed in text books and state standards on what students are tested.

The Discover Auburn series, cosponsored by the Caroline Marshall Draughon Center for the Arts and Humanities and the Auburn University Libraries, will continue in January with the lecture "Christian Identity and Economic Justice in the Rural South" given by Wylin Dassie Wilson.

Share and discuss “Discover Auburn lecture focuses on evolution” on social media.