Student Superstitions are 'Security Blankets'

Halloween has been a holiday filled with superstition for hundreds of years.

Walking under open ladders and black cats crossing paths have become common superstitions.

But why?

"We believe in 'bad luck,' when, for example, a black cat crosses my path on my walk to school and five minutes later I trip and fall," said William Buskist, psychology professor. "I then associate my fall with the fact that I let a black cat cross my path, which only reinforces that particular superstition."

However, according to the History Channel, the superstition surrounding black cats comes from the Middle Ages when many people believed witches avoided being detected by turning themselves into cats.

Lindsey Guttuso of New Orleans, sophomore in pre-pharmacy, said a lot of superstitious legends can be found there, including voodoo.

"I don't do voodoo, but a lot of stores have stuff like eyes of newts and witchcraft stuff," Guttuso said.

Many superstitions of the past focused on helping young women find their future husbands, according to the History Channel.

In 18th century Scotland, fortune tellers told young women to name a hazelnut for each of her suitors, then throw the nuts into the fireplace.

The nut that burned to ashes, rather than exploding, represented the girl's future husband.

Bobbing for apples is even a result of superstitious behavior.

At Halloween parties, the first successful apple-bobber would be the first to marry.

Young women would also create a concoction of walnuts, hazelnuts and nutmeg to eat before bedtime Halloween night, hoping they would dream about their future husband.

Buskist said superstitious behavior develops accidentally when, by chance, a given behavior appears to produce a positive outcome.

"For example, suppose I am a baseball pitcher, and as I walk to the mound, I jump over the baseline going to first base," Buskist said. "That particular inning, I strike people out, and I think to myself, 'How'd I do that?' I further think to myself, 'It must have been because I didn't step on the baseline.' So, with that sort of thinking I continue to jump over the baseline on my way to the mound. If I am having a particularly good game, I will tend to repeat this behavior and thus become superstitious."

Mary Elizabeth Haynes, freshman in communication disorders, did the same thing while playing sports in high school to ensure a good match.

"I had to do the exact same thing every time before I served in volleyball matches in high school," Haynes said. "When it comes to sports, I'm superstitious. My friends forgot their Trooper Towels the past two games and we lost."

However, there are some superstitions harder to explain.

"I can't let my gas tank light come on," said Lacey Beno, senior in public relations. "If it does, I can't drive. I also can't let my bank account get below $50."

Chas Strain, sophomore in agricultural economics, doesn't like to step on cracks.

"Sidewalk cracks freak me out," Strain said.

Buskist said when we repeat superstitious behaviors they become habits.

"Habits make us feel comfortable, especially in anxiety-provoking situations," Buskist said. "They become, in essence, our security blankets."

Share and discuss “Student Superstitions are 'Security Blankets'” on social media.