Lost cellular calls continue on campus

The Student Center may be the hub of student activity, but it is generally a dead zone when it comes to cell phone service.

However, Verizon Wireless is working to improve its service in the Student Center, said Brian Keeter, director of public affairs for Auburn.

"First, Verizon Wireless will install a kiosk to help deliver better service to Verizon customers," Keeter said. "Second, Verizon Wireless is also installing an antenna on the roof to boost their signal,"

This is good news to students, who say poor cell reception is putting a damper on life and activities at the student center.

Gardner Pippin, an undeclared freshman, said bad cell service often prevents him from hanging out in the Student Center.

"I have AT&T," Pippin said. "On a scale of one to 10, I'd probably rate my cell service in here a three."

Evan Skipper, a freshman in civil engineering, also uses AT&T said he hopes the company will improve its service.

"I heard AT&T is about to put their 3G service up here so hopefully that will help," Skipper said.

Emily Mizerowski, a freshman in psychology, uses Verizon and offered a possible solution to the problem.

"They need to just put a cell tower right in the middle of the building," Mizerowski said.

Keeter said the University hopes other carriers will follow Verizon's lead.

"The University is working with other carriers, requesting that they install repeaters to improve their cell service," Keeter said.

Share and discuss “Lost cellular calls continue on campus” on social media.