Summer classes help students stock up on hours

Need a break from big classes, Donahue traffic, packed C Zones and crazy schedules,? Lacking credit hours?

Taking summer classes at Auburn is a way to avoid the chaos and get the hours needed to fill up the curriculum sheet.

Summer classes tend to be smaller because a smaller amount of students take classes in the summer than in the fall or spring.

"There are fewer students per classroom in the summer because not everybody is here in the summer," said Lawrence Wit, associate dean of the College of Science and Mathematics. "Students get more one-on-one time with professors."

Wit said the greatest advantage of taking summer classes is accessibility.

"Auburn University works with the whole Auburn community, and things run more smoothly in the summer," Wit said.

Wit said summer classes benefit the University, as well as students.

"Auburn has the resources to have class year-round," Wit said. "The lights and air are going to be on, and the classrooms will be there whether people are in them or not."

In many departments, the most classes offered in the summer are entry or sophomore level.

Katie Lackey, an academic adviser from the College of Human Sciences, said she believes taking summer classes is one of the best things students can do.

"It's a great way to catch up or get ahead in the curriculum," Lackey said. "I took summer classes as a student at Auburn and it worked out well for me, so I try to encourage my students to do the same."

Lackey said the only disadvantage she sees in taking summer classes is the pace.

"There is a lot of information given in a short amount of time," Lackey said, "but it does balance out since most summer classes are five days a week."

Lackey said the budget cuts that Auburn is experiencing did not affect the number of summer classes the College of Human Sciences will offer this year.

"We are still offering the same amount of classes," Lackey said. "How many classes make might differ this year, what with students' varying financial situations."

The summer schedule is not finalized in every college. Daniel Clay, associate dean for administration, research and innovative programs for the College of Education, said they are still working on putting together the summer offerings list.

"The department heads are working with the faculty now to finalize the summer class list, but I'm confident the list will have all the classes it needs to," Clay said.

Share and discuss “Summer classes help students stock up on hours” on social media.