Talking or Tweeting?

First, there was MySpace. Then, there was Facebook. Now, another social network named Twitter is taking the social media world by storm.

Twitter premiered in 2006 and, according to Nielson Online, was the fastest-growing social network in February 2009 with 7,038,000 unique visitors.

Tripp Girdler, a junior in business, has had a Twitter account for about a year.

"I like being able to keep in touch with friends in other cities to see what they're doing and stuff," Girdler said. "It kind of helps to share your thoughts and see what your friends are doing without actually giving them a text or call."

Twitter members are asked to answer the question: "What are you doing?" in 140 characters or less.

A member's profile shows their status updates along with a short biography and small photo.

"The 140 character limit sets it apart from other social media sites," said Kalynne Pudner, a professor of philosophy. "I think it's a challenge to see what you can say in 140 characters."

By following other members, users can read their tweets, or status updates, on their home page and respond to them if they wish.

Girdler said he has a Facebook account, but prefers Twitter.

"I'd say I have about 40 or 50 followers," Girdler said. "I follow some friends and a few musicians."

Twitter's popularity has been boosted by the large amount of public figures who personally use the site to connect with both friends and fans.

President Obama has a Twitter account, and celebrities such as John Mayer, Ashton Kutcher, Ellen DeGeneres, Martha Steweart and Dane Cook regularly tweet what they are doing to their fans.

Even Auburn University has its own official Twitter account, "AuburnU," which it uses to inform its followers of Auburn news and events.

Mike Clardy, director of communication, said Auburn has more than 1,000 followers and continues to gain new followers on a daily basis.

"What we've done is, if we have news stories that are big enough to go on our homepage, we have taken those stories and also put them on our University Twitter account," Clardy said. "It's a great mechanism for placing your message directly in the hands of those who want to know about it," Clardy said.

Clardy said the University has not had to do so yet, but plans to use Twitter in the event of an emergency.

"We've got AU Alert and the homepage, but we see Twitter and Facebook as big ways we would get information to people who need to know about an emergency," Clardy said.

Pudner, who describes Twitter as a "boredom killer," said the key to successfully navigating social media is to keep your friend count low.

"I think as the supply increases the value goes down," Pudner said. "People who are friends with a few dozen people they really know, I think that's fine."

Share and discuss “Talking or Tweeting?” on social media.