April brings forth Autism awareness

April showers bring May flowers, but more people are becoming aware that April brings more than just rain.

April has been dubbed National Autism Awareness Month, and as such, many organizations seize the chance to encourage people to get involved in helping the families affected by autism.

"We've got one in 100 kids affected by this epidemic, so we think that it is a good time for people to try to make a difference," said Wendy Fournier of the National Autism Association. "We encourage people to support advocacy organizations that provide funding to help families who are in financial need and unable to cover their kids' expenses."

The Autism Society of America lists several ways to get involved on its Web site -- autism-society.org/naam.

The list includes big undertakings, from hosting an event to raise awareness, to small, but noticeable, differences like wearing an autism awareness puzzle bracelet to show support or reading a book about someone dealing with autism.

"We offer a Web site that shows events that are going on, and we have chapters all over the United States," said Rose Jothus with the Autism Society of America. "The different chapters are all holding events, and people can see a full list online."

Alpha Xi Delta announced at the beginning of the month that their national philanthropy changed to Autism Speaks, national non-profit organization dedicated to increasing autism awareness and raising money to fund autism research.

"We are the only Panhellenic organization that does anything with autism," said Patti Plath, publicity chair for Alpha Xi Delta. "We all changed our Facebook profile pictures in honor and promotion of Autism Speaks. Autism is a growing epidemic in our country, and it's really important, especially with the technology available now, that we find the answers to prevent this from happening and to provide care and aid for the children with autism."

Autism is a complex developmental disability that affects a person's ability to communicate and interact with others.

No single cause or cure for autism is known, but increased awareness and funding can help families tremendously.

This disability usually appears during the first three years of a child's life, and the Autism Society of America emphasized the importance of being able to recognize the signs.

On the Autism Society of America's list of ways to get involved, number eight is learning the signs of autism.

Signs of autism include: delay in spoken language, repetitive use of language, little or no eye contact, lack of interest in peer relationships and lack of make-believe play.

"Autism is one of the most under-funded epidemics," said Nicole Carlson, president of Alpha Xi Delta. "It's really important to raise awareness for autism."

Share and discuss “April brings forth Autism awareness” on social media.