Auburn Gay-Straight Alliance dresses in drag

The Auburn Gay-Straight Alliance hosted its first drag show, "What a Drag," in the Student Center Saturday.

Guys put on wigs and dresses and girls wore baggy pants and bandanas to raise awareness for the need to add a gender identity clause to the nondiscrimination policy at Auburn.

The "girls" arrived in the afternoon to start getting ready for the big show.

The boys added false eyelashes, high heels and flashy jewelry to top off the look.

The room was decked out with a light up disco ball and a complete refreshments table.

"Donations will go towards trying to push the nondiscrimination clause to include gender identity," said Stephen Davis, a sophomore in theatre. "If you express different identities, like if a male chooses to portray a female, these individuals are still open to prejudices on campus. We want to build a strong community for gay, straights, lesbians and any other people that want to help."

Sexual orientation was voted into the clause by SGA in December 2007, but gender identity was turned down at that time.

AGSA exists to provide a safe community for gays, lesbians and their allies, and to raise awareness for transgender rights.

AGSA wanted to host "What a Drag" to portray how silly it is that transgender individuals are being mistreated across the nation.

"This is my first drag show, and it was quite an experience," said Dylan Millek, a freshman in history. "Most people are closed off, and being in college means a time to open yourself up to new experiences and ideas."

Performers at the event included Corina Fantasia, Haute Sunshine Couture, Paris Chanel London and many others.

Students who attended the vent awarded dollar bills to the performers they liked most.

At the end of the night, the AGSA crowned a Mr. and Mrs. What a Drag 2009.

Phelana Azalea was the winner based on the crowd response.

The Count of Monte Crisco won the king's title.

The organization took this opportunity to give out awards to its members.

Jennifer Barnes was honored as the "Most Helpful," while Trevor McEuen achieved the "Perfect Attendance" award.

"'What a Drag' was definitely a success," said Frank Crisona, a senior in biomedical sciences. "We earned close to $200.

Crisona said the organization already has plans for the earned money.

"We plan to do more promotion next year and organize it a bit better," he said.

Share and discuss “Auburn Gay-Straight Alliance dresses in drag” on social media.