Students dish dating dealbreakers

Bad hygiene, bad manners and bad habits. These are a few dating deal breakers common for young adults.

Allison French, a senior in psychology, said one of her biggest dating deal breakers is when a guy is on his phone during a date.

"If I went on a date with someone who was on their phone too much, I would not go on a date with him again," French said. "A person shouldn't be on their phone at all on a date unless it's an emergency or a way out of an uncomfortable situation."

French also doesn't like when guys have confidence issues.

"When guys compare themselves to others to make themselves feel more attractive is definitely a deal breaker for me," French said. "Too much confidence is even worse. It makes me feel bad about myself when a guy cares more about his looks than mine."

For Josh Porter, an Auburn graduate, lying is a big turn off.

"If I take someone on a few dates and I find out they've lied to me, that is an automatic deal breaker for me," Porter said. "Honesty is one of the most important aspects of a relationship."

If someone is dishonest from the start, he said, they will probably continue to be dishonest.

Porter also prefers dating non-vegetarians so he is not constricted on food choices.

"I like to be able to try new restaurants," Porter said. "It bothers me to be limited on choices."

Emily Horne, a senior in public relations, said her biggest dating deal breaker is when a guy talks about how cute her friends are, or he "checks out" other girls when she's around.

"It's really insulting and annoying," Horne said. "Is it really that difficult to just respect the girl you are with and to not do that when she's around?"

Horne also doesn't like it when guys swear a lot in front of girls.

"I hate it when you just start dating someone, and they have a really dirty mouth," Horne said. "It's not cool when guys drop multiple 'f-bombs' in front of girls."

Andy Puent, an Auburn graduate, said a big deal breaker is immaturity.

"Relationships last much longer when both people are mature," Puent said. "They don't fight about the trivial issues in life."

It's not a good sign, he said, when a girl has no opinions or ideas about where her life is going. Both Horne and Puent take their deal breakers seriously.

"I have a history of horrible boyfriends," Horne said. "I have learned to be a lot pickier as I've gotten older. If I see a red flag, especially in the beginning, I don't let it go. I immediately stop dating and/or talking to him."

Puent also said he'll quit dating someone if he finds a bad quality.

French thinks that one of the most popular dating deal breakers is someone having bad manners, especially on a date.

"Chewing with your mouth open, not talking enough and causing awkward moments and talking too much are all things that people should avoid on a date," French said. "Especially a first date."

Porter said smoking is another huge turn-off.

"I hate when girls smell like cigarettes.," Porter said. "I don't want to be on a date with someone who smells like a bar."

However, Horne admits cheating is the ultimate deal-breaker.

"There isn't a worse feeling than when a guy cheats on you," Horne said.

She said she has found one of the best ways to avoid ending up in a deal-breaking situation is to trust what others say.

"If you have friends that know the guy you're dating and they warn you about things, most of the time you should probably listen," Horne said.

Share and discuss “Students dish dating dealbreakers” on social media.