Fort Benning Expansion Brings Jobs to Lee County

Auburn will soon feel the economic effects from the expansion of Fort Benning, including more jobs and more money. The Base Realignment and Closure Commission, BRAC, is enforcing changes at Fort Benning which will affect Lee County's economy, environment and community, according to the Valley Partnership Joint Development Authority Web site.

"BRAC was passed in 2005 in order to help the Department of Defense operate more efficiently," said Larry Crane, project director of the Valley Partnership.

The commission analyzes a list of military base recommendations and enforces them.

The Valley Partnership is a group aimed at enhancing the development and promotion of commerce, trade, industry and employment opportunities in the region as a result of BRAC.

As Fort Benning expands with the addition of the Armor Center and School that is relocating from Fort Knox, Ky., the entire Chattahoochee Valley region will feel the effects.

The more people moving into the area, the more jobs and amenities will be required.

According to the Valley Partnership's Regional Growth Management Plan, RGMP, seven Georgia and three Alabama counties will be affected, including Lee County.

An estimated 11,000 jobs will be added, as well as $3.5 billion in capital investment throughout the region.

A $3.3 million grant given by the Department of Defense, Office of Economic Adjustment, to the RGMP is set to help the BRAC-affected communities adjust to the impacts of mission changes at military bases, according to the Valley Partnership.

According to the RGMP, with all of the expansion at Fort Benning, it's estimated that everywhere within a 35-mile radius will feel the effects.

Lee County's population is projected to increase by 12,000, while employment is estimated to increase by 3,800.

"Auburn's local businesses will be able to work with the larger companies that are moving closer to Fort Benning," said Lolly Steiner, president of the Auburn Chamber of Commerce. "It will give small business owners and chamber members more opportunities to do business in East Alabama and Fort Benning because so many people are coming."

Crane said the RGMP helps to attract all of this industry by giving companies information to help with their business planning.

"The collaborative planning process goes a long way toward helping our region to be prepared for the coming Fort Benning growth and to attract other industries too," Crane said.

The planning data helps the government and private industries by assisting with infrastructure improvements in order to create environments where industries can flourish.

"Approximately $3.5 billion is planning to be spent on the Fort Benning expansion," said Gary Jones, executive vice president of the economic development and military affairs for the Columbus Chamber of Commerce.

Construction companies in the region have already hired more than 2,000 employees and some defense contractor companies are already relocating from Fort Knox to Fort Benning.

Jones said these construction companies are moving into the area to build homes, schools and on-post facilities.

However, not many companies directly related to the military have moved yet, because the new headquarters doesn't open until 2010.

"In mid-to-late 2010 is when we anticipate the surge in growth directly related to Fort Benning," Jones said.

Fort Benning is one of the U.S. Army's largest training installations and provides $110 million in salaries monthly, according to the RGMP.

It is estimated BRAC is going to be generating an additional $25-$35 million more monthly.

Share and discuss “Fort Benning Expansion Brings Jobs to Lee County” on social media.