Wasting Excess Time Online

I don't have many hobbies, but when it comes to procrastination, and with the Internet as my guide, you can just call me an expert.

The Internet is a helpful tool for procrastination, one that everyone tinkers with. If you say you don't you are either lying or you just honestly are not fascinated with the Internet like I am, living without the care to figure out its black hole nature, and for that I applaud you.

Whether I am looking up movie times on moviefone.com or looking up a word on dictionary.com with every intention of it being a quick browse, I soon am lost in the millions of Web sites in the cyber world.

The extras on Google always get me, and when I am looking up movie showings on moviefone.com I always want to search the reviews which then leads me to imdb.com which sucks me in for at least an hour as I browse trailers and upcoming releases.

Google is also a black hole by force. One little search for an article on "Wuthering Heights" and Emily Bronte's underlying theme of love's destruction for a World Lit paper (or just for curiosity) could turn into numerous hours on Amazon.com looking at what other users purchased when they bought Emily Bronte's only novel.

Or, when searching for tickets for a Vampire Weekend concert could lead to my realization that I need a new concert outfit leading to lost time on neetmagazine.com's "A to Z Stockists'" page.

It's procrastination at its finest. It is the reason why I write most of my articles' rough drafts first on paper or on my computer with my wireless connection turned off.

The Internet is taking over, just as forgetting your cell phone at home puts you in a frenzy when fifteen years ago, I assume, cell phones were superfluous. When wireless networks cannot be found most users will inconvenience themselves to a different location to stay connected.

The Internet is convenient. A friend of mine told me (on Facebook chat, a conversation that turned into 30 minutes when I was just getting on to see the details of an event invitation) that she'll look up the weather on weather.com before opening the door to see how hot it is.

Everything can be found online. Newspapers, articles, books, music, clothes, food. Did you know you can now order food online? Restaurants such as Papa John's or Roly Poly can take orders online while still giving the pick-up or delivery option as well.

As much as I enjoy my ridiculous infatuation with the Internet and staying connected, I realize the need to stay connected with people should be much more important. I love the tangibility of a newspaper. I love the sound of a Beatle's record in my record player. I love trying on clothes in the store. I love clarifying my order at Roly Poly when I am certain the person on the other end of the phone thinks I am crazy for wanting a grilled cheese with honey mustard.

I will always have a love-hate relationship with the Internet its several resources at my fingertips and ability to lose time in its infinite world. However, I realize the need for distance between this cyber companion for the sake of time, friendships and my wallet.

Share and discuss “Wasting Excess Time Online” on social media.