Auburn Theatre Department Targets Younger Audience

A person finding a hole in his or her coat may think it normal wear and tear or a reminder of an event that created it. For the people of Nocturno, a hole in their coat means a hole in their memory they lose forever.

This past weekend the Auburn University Theatre presented "Still Life with Iris" by Steven Dietz, where a young girl named Iris discovers the value of memory through losing her coat and finding herself.

Directed by Heather May, this summer's production was appropriate for both children and adults alike.

It was originally commissioned and produced by Seattle Children's Theatre after Dietz was inspired by the books of Steffan Soule and Cooper Evans, including "Dreams, Magic, and Miracles."

With most students gone for the summer, May found an opportunity to get the community involved while having her students gain new techniques.

"I was interested in bringing a children's theater piece (to Auburn) because the families with children are still here," May said.

As explained in Dietz's beginning acknowledgements, "the play takes place in a parallel present in two vastly, but interconnected worlds.

The land of Nocturno is a fantastical world of pragmatic magic where the inhabitants spend each day readying the "known" world for the next day. It exists in a place parallel to our days.

Great Island is a magnificent and remote inland isle ruled by the Great Goods, who also rule Nocturno.

Throughout the play, the audience joins Iris on a journey between the two worlds where she finds the value of memory, friendship and family.

"It's really an imaginative look at the role family and community play in our lives," May said.

The play contained humor aimed for both children and adults, bringing the audience onto one level.

"I never felt like I was sitting through a children's play," said Natalie McCormick, a senior in civil engineering.

Because the play is aimed at a younger audience, it required different acting skills for the performers to learn.

"It was complex," said Chris Qualls, who played Man/Mister Matternot and is also an Auburn University Theatre professor. "We had to find symbols and metaphors in the play. It took a month working on it to figure out the connections."

Not only were the acting techniques complex, but the stage itself was a world of its own. There were enormous leaves and clouds appearing to float with the wind above the stage while lights shone hues of every blue down below.

"The set was gorgeous," McCormick said. "It had very detailed painting and it was so neat seeing the big space. They used only a few props and the set and lighting designs were great."

The play premiered Thursday, June 25 for 230 members of the Boys and Girls Club of Lee County. In addition to viewing the play, the members were able to meet the cast and crew during a special question-and-answer session.

"It was a great opportunity for them to experience something they don't always see," May said. "It was also a terrific chance for the actors to have entirely children (in the audience)."

Auburn University Theatre's next production is "Intimate Apparel" by Lynn Nottage, also directed by Heather May.

Set in New York City of 1905, the audience will follow Esther, a black seamstress, as she creates intimate apparel for women of all backgrounds.

It will run September 24 - 25 and September 29 - October 3, 2009 and there will be a matinee on September 27. Tickets will be available free to any University student and will be available for purchase through the box office at (334) 844 - 4154 or online.

Share and discuss “Auburn Theatre Department Targets Younger Audience” on social media.