Sarah Phillips/Staff Writer

Austin Nelson/Associate Photo Editor
News

Prisoners Get Artistic

When it comes to creativity, Auburn University has found a new outlet for a group of people society forgets and often ignores: prisoners.The Alabama Prison Arts + Education Project was created in 2004, using grants from various foundations, including the Alabama Humanities Foundation, and began as an outreach with only one poet teaching in one prison.Today, this project has grown into more than 35 instructors teaching in 12 correctional facilities in Alabama with courses ranging from drawing to Southern literature."Education is good for everybody," said Kyes Stevens, director of the Alabama Prison Arts + Education Project.

Ashlea Draa/Photo Editor
News

Pick Produce at its Peak

With summer here, it's the perfect time to indulge in nature's candy: fresh fruit.The tasty, healthy treats can be found almost everywhere you turn in the South, with produce stands and farmers markets flourishing on long, sunny days."Watermelons always remind me of summer," said Luke Farmer, a junior in political science.

The Auburn Plainsman
News

Berry Boosts Energy, Supplements Diet

Americans today will try anything to find the secret to weight loss. From pills that make your heart race to vinegar concoctions, many seem to have tried it all.Recently, Oprah put her stamp of approval on a berry which may be able to help individuals lose those extra pounds while gaining extra energy to make them healthier and happier.Locally, the General Nutrition Center in Opelika has had many satisfied customers."We've had (acai berries) forever," said Joey Jones, a GNC sales associate and senior in finance.

Professor James Hansen
News

James Hansen Co-Writes Book on Challenger Disaster

On the cold morning of January 28, 1986, the world watched in astonishment as the Space Shuttle Challenger disintegrated above the Atlantic Ocean 72 seconds after being launched.Today, the public can now understand what happened thanks to the work of two former NASA employees: Allan McDonald and James Hansen, history professor and director of Auburn's honors college."Truth, Lies, and O-Rings: Inside the Space Shuttle Challenger Disaster," by McDonald and Hansen is a book focused on McDonald's inside story."I never thought I'd write about it," Hansen said.But recently McDonald, an engineer who knew all of NASA's secrets, decided to use his 1,400 pages of hand-written notes on the Challenge disaster to educate the public. When he first began, McDonald wrote a book and submitted it to agents in New York City because it was what he thought writers were supposed to do."It was a fatal flaw," McDonald said.

More articles »