Cross Country Team Hoping to Run the Distance Next Season

Auburn's Cross Country team is training to build their endurance and work out the kinks, while other teammates are in Europe breaking records this summer.

"Cross country is a beast of its own because of the weather, the terrain and the certain pain of racing," said Scott Novack, a senior in chemical engineering. While living in Belgium this summer, Novack said he is continuing to build his endurance as well as rest his body. "JP Weerts, who is also on the team and from Belgium, and I are living together currently here," Novack said. "He has had a great season. This past week he set two PR's (personal records) in the 3K and 5K. The track season in Europe actually has not gone so well for me. I strained my hamstring the first week I was here, so I have not been able to race since then."

Novack said it has been amazing to have the opportunity to see how the European Track Circuit works.

Meanwhile, the rest of the team is back in the states where they are working to improve their base miles before the season starts back.

"Right now with summer training, I am personally trying to get a good base (mileage) before the real practices begin," said Jeff Sanders, a sophomore in architecture. "I am trying to get in the miles plus some weight training to get a strong core."

Along with building endurance runners express the importance of training on different terrains to prepare for a race.

"Every course is different depending on how hilly it is, how big the hills are, how much grass there is, how much mud there is on rainy days, how wide the course is, how many loops the course takes and how many times you cross pavement," Novack said.

The women's team often runs on golf courses,

which can be more difficult than people think, said Laurel Pritchard, a senior in nutrition. Other times they may run on more difficult terrain with dirt and rocks.

In spite of all their training, runners have their own superstitions and unique ways of preparing themselves before a big race.

"I try not to think about it too much because if you make yourself nervous then it can psych you out," Pritchard said. "I like to just be around the girls and try to go on about everything like normal. I make sure to wake up and read my Bible to get myself prepared."

Novack keeps his routine similar to other teammates, simple and consistent. "Right before we leave (for a race), I read one of my favorite passages in the Bible, Philippians 3:13-14, and pray," Novack said. "Then I throw my music on and mentally prepare myself for the coming race." All of the runner's preparations and training has paid off when they

placed fifth in the NCAA championship.

"It was an experience to never forget," Novack said. "I remember that halfway through the race, I was not having my best day, but we were there for the team. I threw my gloves off and got to work picking people off one by one. This was a monumental step for the cross country program at Auburn."

Share and discuss “Cross Country Team Hoping to Run the Distance Next Season” on social media.