First Book Encourages Local Childhood Literacy

First Book, a non-profit organization, gives children one resource many take for granted: books.

Founded nationally in 1992, First Book strives to increase literacy by donating books to underprivileged communities.

"I think this effort makes a difference in the lives of youth locally and helps to improve literacy rates among child populations," said Chippewa Thomas, a professor in the department of special education, rehabilitation and counseling."

As the organization's adviser and president of the Alabama Association of Multicultural Counseling and Development, Thomas said she will work this year to collect books and distribute them to local youth organizations, schools and individuals.

"As part of the 'Read Across Alabama' initiative in November, books will also be given to children at a school in Birmingham who don't have books at home of their own to read," Thomas said.

First Book raises awareness in Auburn by planning fund-raisers at local restaurants and bookstores, said Kimberly Parent, First Book president at Auburn.

"We also raise the bulk of our funds through the generosity of our donors, and we do appreciate whatever people are willing to give," Parent said.

Parent said gift cards will be available in October for those wanting to support the organization.

"Anyone who wants to show their support for children in need can purchase one and give it to someone they care about to show some holiday spirit," Parent said.

The Auburn chapter of First Book began as an advocacy project, consisting of a book drive and reading day at a local elementary school, for one of Parent's classes.

"Then the idea kept getting bigger, and I spoke to someone who had started a First Book chapter at their school," Parent said. "We wrote the bylaws, got approval and now we're an official campus organization that's growing by the minute. I couldn't be happier with the progress we've made so far."

Since First Book began on Auburn's campus, the organization has already given out many books to local schools, centers and programs, such as Lewis Adams Early Childhood Center, Deborah Cannon Wolfe Elementary School and the Learn As You Grow Tutorial Program.

"I won't soon forget the looks on the children's faces as they held what was for many of them the first new book they had ever had," Parent said. "'Clifford' was by far the favorite, but all of the books given away will stay with those children forever."

Chenetra Bradley, the organization's application chair and counseling psychology doctoral student, said she agrees with Thomas and Parent in the extent First Book impacts children's lives.

"Children who have access to books are more likely to improve their reading development and academic success," Bradley said.

Getting involved with the organization is as simple as attending a meeting, Parent said.

The first meeting is tentatively scheduled for Tuesday, September 1 at 7 p.m. in Haley Center 1126.

Parent said the organization will most likely meet at a local, reasonably priced restaurant instead of continuing to meet in the Haley Center throughout the year.

"We're always accepting new members, just come as you are," Parent said.

Parent said she is excited for the upcoming year.

"My goal for the upcoming year is really just to keep expanding the program by spreading the word and by reaching out to touch the lives of as many children as we can," Parent said. "I can't wait to meet all of the new faces here at Auburn. We're going to have a great time."

Share and discuss “First Book Encourages Local Childhood Literacy” on social media.