Lay-ups With Lebo

Mens basketball heads and team in Auburn, Ala., on Wednesday, October 6, 2004.
Todd J. Van Emst
Mens basketball heads and team in Auburn, Ala., on Wednesday, October 6, 2004. Todd J. Van Emst

Coming in with pride and respect for the players, Jeff Lebo created a new atmosphere to build a team from the ground up.

Lebo said he had many thoughts about the upcoming season.

"I'm pleased with the kids that we have coming in," Lebo said. "I think it is probably the most solid (signing class)."

Lebo began his basketball career in his hometown high school, Carlisle (Pa.) High, earning All-American honors and becoming a four-time all-state selection. When he was a senior his team won the Pennsylvania State Class 4A Championship.

Lebo was an All-ACC point guard in 1986 and four-year starter at the University of North Carolina where he led the Tar Heels to a 116-25 record, with four trips to the NCAA Tournament, two Elite 8 and two Sweet 16 appearances. He was also a two-time All-ACC Tournament selection and an All-ACC second team pick in 1988.

He began his head coaching career in 1998 at Tennessee Tech, becoming one of the youngest collegiate head coaches in the nation at the age of 32. In his second and third years of coaching, he led the Golden Eagles to more wins than they had seen in several years. Lebo was named the Ohio Valley Conference Coach of the Year in 2000.

He was named head coach at the University of Tennessee-Chattanooga in April 2002. In one season he took a team without a returning starter or signee and transformed the Mocs into a Southern Conference championship contender by leading UTC with a 21-9 record, the school's first 20-win season in six years.

Lebo was named Auburn's head coach in April 2004.

Senior guard Tay Waller, a political science major, said Lebo has a lot of determination when it comes to winning.

"He always wants the best from his players," Waller said. "He expects maximum effort out of (us)."

Waller also said basketball is Lebo's true passion.

"He loves the game of basketball," said Lucas Hargrove, a senior forward in public administration. "He's always energetic."

His dedication to the game finally paid off last season when Auburn recorded the second most wins in school history, going 24-10. In the SEC, they tied for second overall with a 10-6 record and were one of the last teams left in the NCAA Tournament.

Waller said one of his favorite memories came from the Tigers' success in the SEC Tournament.

"After we beat Florida...the program finally experienced some success," Waller said. "You could feel it in the locker room. No one had an attitude, (and) we all got along. After that game it made us a better team."

With the promise of more great success with returning seniors and a good recruiting class, Lebo said he is ready for the fall.

"I think they are hungry," Lebo said. "Our guys are really working. They tasted a little bit of what it's like, (and) I think they are hungry for more."

Lebo is entering his sixth season at Auburn in 2009 with a new $92 million arena opening the next season.

He has been supported by his wife, Melissa, and his three children: Addison, Mills and Creighton.

After four rebuilding seasons and the excitement for the new Coliseum, fans and players alike are hoping to continue with last year's success.

"I think we are moving in the right direction," Lebo said.

Share and discuss “Lay-ups With Lebo” on social media.