New Menus Spice Local Eateries

Summer is in full swing, and the chefs at Ariccia and Quixotes are taking full advantage of its bounty by adding new dishes with a seasonal flair.

From locally grown tomatoes to fresh herbs and spices, the flavor is anything but boring.

Malcolm Sanz, Ariccia's executive sous chef, goes straight to the restaurant's herb garden for ingredients in some of the menu's newest dishes.

"We now have Maryland striped bass, which is wild, and it's served with a nice tomato salad that's been warmed up slightly with some balsamic vinaigrette and wilted arugula," Sanz said. "It's extremely refreshing for the summer time. The tomatoes are local tomatoes, the basil is from our own garden and the arugula is from Georgia."

Cary Exler, head chef and kitchen manager at Quixotes, said the restaurant launched a new menu about a month and a half ago, and it features Southwestern foods like burritos and tacos.

"I think this new menu gives a lot of different people an option," Exler said.

Not only is there a variety of food to choose from, Exler said, but the prices are reasonable as well.

Another dish that is making its debut this summer at Ariccia is the pan-seared salmon.

"It's simply seasoned with salt and pepper, and it's served with a saffron risotto," Sanz said. "In that risotto we have some fresh herbs from our own garden, and then we have a little ragu with leeks and tomatoes that goes on top. It's a nice summer dish, but it's a little bit on the heavier side."

The tomatoes and the ragu make the dish fitted for summer, though, Sanz said.

Exler said some of the most popular items on the menu at Quixotes are the homemade chipotle barbecue chicken wrap, the Caesar wrap and the buffalo chicken wrap, which all feature homemade sauces.

"We take pride in a lot of our homemade stuff," Exler said. "It's one of the things we do that not a lot of places in town do. We make our own salsa, queso and sauces."

Some traditional entrees that will remain on Ariccia's menu include classic spaghetti Bolognese, fettuccini alfredo and pasta carbonara.

"The pastas are like the staple items," said Arif Kor, executive assistant manager of food and beverage at Ariccia. "(They) are very well prepared and are popular, so they will always be on the menu."

On a sweeter note, Ariccia is now serving three creme brulees together on a plate for dessert.

Milk chocolate and espresso, vanilla and chocolate creme brulees are complemented with cornmeal biscotti.

"The cornmeal biscotti adds a little textural difference to the dessert," Sanz said.

The chocolate bar at Ariccia, which has 20 different types of chocolate, is also open for those with a sweet tooth, like Cameron Flowers, a senior majoring in exercise science.

"I love the chocolate bar," Flowers said. "It is cute, has some really great desserts and is definitely the perfect match for any chocolate lover."

Although the restaurants' menus are changing for the summer, the hours are not.

Ariccia is still open for breakfast, lunch and dinner seven days a week.

Quixotes is also keeping the same schedule, with the kitchen open from 5 to 10 p.m. Monday through Saturday and the bar open from 5 p.m. to 2:30 a.m. Monday through Friday and 5 p.m. to 2 a.m. Saturday.

The restaurants' close proximities to campus make them ideal choices for students.

"(Ariccia) is great for dates and meeting friends because it is so close to campus and you could walk around campus after dinner," Flowers said. "Also it is fancier than what we have here around town, so it makes for a fun night to get dressed up."

Wendy Bonner, an employee in the College of Liberal Arts, said she also enjoys eating at Ariccia.

"The atmosphere is relaxed, the service is friendly, and the lunch buffet has something for everyone," Bonner said.

Share and discuss “New Menus Spice Local Eateries” on social media.