Offensive Linemen Look to Destroy Defenses

Ryan Pugh
Auburn football vs Mississippi State on Saturday, Sept. 13, 2008 in Starkville, MS.
Todd Van Emst
Ryan Pugh Auburn football vs Mississippi State on Saturday, Sept. 13, 2008 in Starkville, MS. Todd Van Emst

Bigger, stronger and faster.

That is what the Auburn offensive line is looking to become before the start of the football season in the fall.

Last season, former offensive coordinator Tony Franklin urged his offensive line to shed some pounds in order to keep up with his fast paced offense.

This season, Franklin's replacement at offensive coordinator, Gus Malzahn who runs a similar type of spread offense, has a completely different message for his linemen: Beef up.

In order to establish an effective running game, the backfield must be well protected, said Malzahn. The offensive linemen said they are ready to bulk up and live up to the task.

Lee Ziemba, an undeclared junior lineman who stands at 6-foot-8 and weighs 315 pounds, said he is buying into Malzahn's new system.

"Coach Malzahn is a great coach," Ziemba said. "He's been running this offense for quite some time now. Everywhere he's gone, everywhere he's been whether it be high school or college, he's been successful with it."

The trust that Auburn's players have put into the new coaching staff and the new offensive system translates into optimism for the upcoming season.

"This offense is certainly capable of producing more yards and more points," Ziemba said. "We're just really excited about it."

Many of Auburn's starting offensive linemen have been starting since their freshman year. Because of their success, the recent recruiting classes have been a little light in the lineman category.

Andrew McCain, a senior in chemistry who came out of spring practice projected to start at right tackle, said that depth really won't be too big of a concern going into the fall.

"I wouldn't call it a concern," McCain said. "We just got a couple of new guys in, and the guys that we had before have been working really hard to improve. We're finally in a position where we have a second string guy at every position."

Last season the Auburn Tigers had a record of 5-7, losing to Alabama for the first time in six years, while also falling to SEC rivals Georgia, LSU and Arkansas. Needless to say, the Tigers are looking for revenge, McCain said.

"We have to take them one at a time," McCain said. "I'm excited about all of them, starting with the opener against La Tech (Louisiana Tech). You know the game against Alabama left such a sour taste in our mouth last year, we'll definitely be excited when that one rolls around."

At the beginning of every season, true fans believe their team has a shot to win a championship. This point is mute, however, if the players don't have the same mentality. Fortunately for Auburn, the offensive linemen are geared up to do something special this season, McCain said.

"You can't really tell anything until teams get on the field, but that's what we're here to do, win a championship," McCain said.

As far as help being on the way in the form of new recruits, recruiting coordinator Curtis Luper said that, while the staff searches for talent all across the country, they would like to find it right here at home.

"We're looking to saturate the state of Alabama," Luper said.

Recently Auburn implemented a recruiting strategy now known as the Tiger Prowl.

Sending all seven assistant coaches out together, in a limousine, is certainly going to catch the attention of some young high school juniors and seniors.

"We visited 40 schools in one week," Luper said. "That's unprecedented in college football."

As the Tigers storm the field for their first game on Sept. 5, they will do so behind five of the biggest, toughest, nastiest, most hard-working athletes around: the Auburn offensive line.

Share and discuss “Offensive Linemen Look to Destroy Defenses” on social media.