Justin Dorman/Staff Writer

The Auburn Plainsman
Community

Family Dinners Not Magic Fix

Television shows and the American media have been showing images of the perfect family and family dinners for years.In years past, it was shows like The Brady Bunch that showed America what it was like to sit at a table with six well-behaved kids.

Campus

Tiger Transit Will Run at Night

Auburn University is looking to improve the safety and security of students on campus by implementing a new nighttime bus system this fall.The new night transit will assist in getting students from downtown to the stop of their choice, be it on-campus or off.Auburn's SGA helped design a system that now allows two different busing systems to co-exist and run efficiently.The Night Security Shuttle will provide security for the students going from parking lots to the dorms or other on-campus locations, but will no longer provide the taxi service for those in need of a ride downtown.This bus system will run like the Tiger Transit, but SGA President Jacob Watkins said it is important the two not be considered the same, as the routes differ slightly and the funding for the two systems comes from different places."Everywhere it stops is still a Tiger Transit stop, but we've consolidated some of the daytime routes into one route," Watkins said.

The Auburn Plainsman
Sports

Bonner and Boddie in WNBA

Two former stand out basketball players reached new pinnacles in their respective careers as Whitney Boddie and DeWanna Bonner were drafted into the WNBA on April 9.The two players helped lead the Auburn women's basketball team to an 30-4record and its first SEC title in 20 years. Bonner was selected fifth overall in the 2009 WNBA Draft by the Phoenix Mercury.

Sports

Offensive Linemen Look to Destroy Defenses

Bigger, stronger and faster.That is what the Auburn offensive line is looking to become before the start of the football season in the fall.Last season, former offensive coordinator Tony Franklin urged his offensive line to shed some pounds in order to keep up with his fast paced offense.This season, Franklin's replacement at offensive coordinator, Gus Malzahn who runs a similar type of spread offense, has a completely different message for his linemen: Beef up.In order to establish an effective running game, the backfield must be well protected, said Malzahn.

Sports

Auburn Football: Running Back Preview

The fall semester is on the horizon, and with it comes a brand new football season. Auburn Tigers fans have been anticipating and anxiously awaiting the first football game of the 2009 season on September 5.This year there is even more buzz surrounding the team, which now consists of a completely new coaching staff.Since the Auburn offense is dominated by its running game, the position with the most hype at Auburn is typically running back, where the likes of Bo Jackson, Carnell Williams and Ronnie Brown among others have thrived and led Auburn to be appropriately nicknamed "Running Back University."This year looks to be no different as the Offensive Coordinator, Gus Malzahn, said he looks to implement a system that put up over 3,700 rushing yards for the University of Tulsa last season.Eric Smith, an undeclared sophomore in the College of Liberal Arts, has high hopes for this year's offense."It's a lot of fun, a lot of misdirection's, more deep plays, more run plays," Smith said.

The Auburn Plainsman
News

Scholarships Offer Relief to Economic Woes

With the economy on the fritz and tuition prices on the rise, it is becoming ever more difficult to afford a college education.Fortunately, Auburn University students have available to them a plethora of scholarship opportunities, ranging from general university scholarships to department, freshman and transfer scholarships.Every year Auburn awards approximately 6,000 scholarships through the Office of University Scholarships.In addition to the general scholarships awarded at the university level, Auburn also offers scholarships individually through the departments of each one of the 12 schools and colleges.The money for these scholarships typically comes from donors and the Board of Trustees.Ryan Villarreal, an undeclared sophomore in science and mathematics, thinks the scholarships are a blessing to families who may be suffering because of the rapidly declining economy."There are plenty of ways that Auburn helps it's students," Villareal said.

Ashlea Draa/Photo Editor
News

Auburn Football Tickets Move to Ignited Cards

With the football season fast approaching, Auburn fans already have something to cheer about.In an attempt to promote school spirit, Auburn University has devised a point system called Auburn Ignited in which students are rewarded for regularly attending sporting events in the 2009-10 season.

More articles »