Working Out the Right Way

For many students, taking time out of their busy days to work out at Gold's Gym or the Student Act is just a necessary part of life. However, the grunting, sweating and hydrating they do at the gym aren't the only things that can make improve their overall fitness level.

It's the little things they do before and after a workout that can make a real difference. When and how to stretch, what to eat before and after a workout and what supplements to take are all factors that may have students hearing conflicting opinions.

"Stretching before a workout is not so important," said Danielle Wadsworth, assistant professor of kinesiology. "Instead, warm up with a light activity and increase your intensity based on what exercise you're doing. For example, if you're going to run, start with a light walk and increase from there."

Wadsworth also said that stretching before a workout won't affect flexibility or prevent injury. However, she said that stretching 10-15 minutes afterward and spending at least 15-30 seconds on every muscle group you worked can actually increase flexibility.

"The most commonly pulled muscles are the lower back and shoulders", said a representative for Gold's Gym MAX. "This is usually caused by not properly warming up."

Eating before a workout has also been a contested topic in the past. "You need to definitely have something on your stomach when you're working out," Wadsworth said. "Especially if you get up first thing in the morning."

Wadsworth said 200-300 calories of carbs and protein such as peanut butter and a slice of fruit would be an ideal snack before a workout. The Gold's Gym representative said she suggested chicken and brown rice.

However, Wadsworth said she warns against eating a large meal just before hitting the gym. "When you exercise, your body takes blood away from your stomach to get rid of heat, and this can mess up digestion," she said. "Wait a couple of hours before working out if you just had a large meal."

Wadsworth said eating after a workout is dependent on the type and intensity of exercise done. "If you've just done the elliptical for 30 minutes, eat when you're hungry. Don't think that you have to carbo-load," she said. "If you're training for a marathon and have been running 2-3 hours, be more aware."

The ideal meal to consume after working out would be something with lots of protein, Wadsworth said. Turkey would be a good, lean option.

Supplements are an increasingly popular way to help active students meet their required intake of protein and other valuable nutrients. "A great pre-workout supplement for men would be creatine," said Marsha Gladfelder, owner of General Nutrition Center (GNC) in Opelika. "It helps with muscle efficiency, can provide more reps, and works the muscles harder which in turn leads to better fitness."

For women, Gladfelder said she suggests a pre-workout energy booster, or a thermogenic (fat burner) if weight loss is desired. Post-workout supplements are a quick and easy way for active students to intake protein as well. "Everyone needs to take a protein supplement after they work out," Gladfelder said. "After you work out, if you don't put protein back into the muscle, you're breaking it down more than you're building it."

The Gold's Gym representative said that 24-50 grams of protein powder would be the right amount for any active college student to intake after a workout. Gladfelder also said she suggests taking glutamine post-workout, an amino acid which helps with muscle repair and recuperation.

One other important supplement for active students is a multivitamin, said the representative for Gold's Gym. "A multivitamin is THE most important supplement to take," Gladfelder said. "This just helps ensure that basic nutritional needs are met." Wadsworth said.

Wadsworth cautions that the body can only absorb so much protein per kilogram of body weight. "I recommend natural protein sources first, then if there's no time or you're in class all day, think about a supplement," she said.

Gladfelder said that many people prefer supplements such as protein to food because they are quicker, more convenient and often provide the necessary nutrients without extra calories.

The bottom line is that whether the student eats food or takes supplements, spends half an hour on the elliptical or half a day running hills, the little steps taken before and after a workout are incredibly important and should never be overlooked.

Share and discuss “Working Out the Right Way” on social media.